Twelve

*Regina's POV*
I stood at the cemetery with my arm around Henry's shoulders and he had his head on my shoulder. I rubbed his right shoulder softly and he sniffled. "It's going to be okay, Henry. I promise you." I said, softly. He turned around and hugged me, crying into my chest. "He killed them! He killed my family!" He sobbed. I held him close and sighed. "I know, Henry. I know." I said, quietly. "He killed my whole family." He whispered. "No. He did not. I am your family. Don't you ever forget that." I said, sternly. He nodded and cried into my chest.

You wrote your name in invisible ink,
For you were so afraid of what they might think.
But the scars they left, they were loud and clear,
Weren't they? weren't they?

When it's too much to bare, memories erase.
A disappearing act, deserving of our thanks.
When it surfaces, just hold your breath
And swim. just swim.

You begged and begged for some kind of change:
Maybe they'd wake up tomorrow and regret the pain
That they've passed down to you like DNA,
But no luck, no luck.

It seems only by the hand of God or death,
Will they truly change their silhouettes.
For a miracle or a consequence,
You wait and wait...

... maybe distance is the only cure?
Far away from hurt is where healing occurs.
But all you really want to do is make them proud,
Don't you? don't you?

It must be so hard, in the mess you're always cleaning up,
To believe in the ghost of unbroken love.
But I promise you,
The truth is that you're loved. so loved.

"Henry! Dinner's down here." I called up the stairs. Today's October 23rd. Henry's 19 now. He's been away at college. He's back now to visit his girlfriend. "Is it wrong of me to miss David?" Henry asked, quietly, as he entered the kitchen. I looked up at him and he looked upset. "Like, I know he killed my family. And I know that he was a total asshole to Emma and she's always basically been my mom but like.. I miss him before he was an asshole and stuff. Like when Emma and I were younger." He mumbled. I sighed and took a few steps closer to him. "Henry. It's totally okay to miss that David. From what I heard, he was a good father figure then." I said, softly. He nodded and looked away. "I'm glad he's dead." He spit. "Henry." I said, sternly. "No. I am. He killed my brother and Mary Margret. He was going to kill Emma. He wanted to kill me. I'm glad that asshole was shot. He fucking deserved so much more though." He said through gritted teeth. I saw the tears in his eyes and I pulled him into my arms. "I hate him!" He sobbed. I held him tight as he collapsed in my arms, sobbing on my shoulder. "Shh. It's okay Hen." I whispered, rubbing his back. "What's going on in here?" Emma asked as she walked in. She wrapped her arm around me and used her other hand to rub Henry's back. "I fucking hate David." Henry sobbed. "Oh, kid." Emma mumbled. After a few minutes of Henry crying and us comforting him, he calmed down and pulled out of our arms. "I'm sorry Regina." He said, rubbing his eyes. "Don't apologize Henry. Never apologize for feeling." I said, softly. He nodded and smiled at me a little. I looked at Emma and she nodded towards the foyer. I followed her out and we stood by the front door. "So, Sam is staying with your mom. Is Henry still going to stay with Violet?" Emma asked, putting her hands on my hips. I smiled. "I think so." I said, quietly. She smiled and leaned her forehead on mine. "I love you." She whispered. I smiled again. "I love you too." I said, softly. She leaned in, capturing my lips in hers and I smiled into it. Then, Henry cleared his throat. We pulled away and i blushed. He smiled. "I'm gonna go ahead and go to Violet's house. I love you guys. Have a good night." He said, smiling. We both smiled and he kissed us both on the cheek. He grabbed his duffle bag off the end of the stairs and left, leaving Emma and I. "Happy birthday, my love." I said, pulling her into my arms. "Happy anniversary, baby girl." She said, pulling me into a kiss. I smiled into it and I wrapped my arms around her neck. After a few minutes, we pulled away. I nuzzled her nose with mine and she smiled. "I know you probably have a whole night planned for us, but can I maybe break the plans a little bit?" She asked. I raised an eyebrow and she gave me the puppy dog eyes. "It involves you too. I promise." She said, whining. I smiled. "I guess." I said. She smiled brightly and nodded. "Put on a jacket. We're going out." She said, smiling. "We're going out?" I asked. She nodded and grabbed her red leather jacket, then grabbed my black leather jacket and handed it to me. I'm wearing tight black pants, a grey turtleneck and black ankle boots. Emma's wearing black skinny jeans, a white thermal, black riding boots and now her red leather jacket. I put my jacket on and she smiled. "Come on love." She said, grabbing my hand in hers. We left our house and went to Emma's car. She grabbed my left hand in her right as she turned the car on. "Where are we going?" I asked, quietly. She smiled. "Now why would I tell you?" She asked, smiling. I rolled my eyes. "Stubborn woman." I murmured. "You knew that when you started dating me." She said, squeezing my hand. I smiled.