One

I can't sleep tonight
Wide awake and so confused
Everything's in line
But I am bruised

I need a voice to echo
I need a light to take me home
I kinda need a hero
Is it you?

I never see the forest for the trees
I could really use your melody
Baby I'm a little blind
I think it's time for you to find me

Can you be my nightingale?
Sing to me
I know you're there
You could be my sanity
But bring me peace
Sing me to sleep
Say you'll be my nightingale

Somebody speak to me
Cause I'm feeling like hell
Need you to answer me
I'm overwhelmed
I need a voice to echo
I need a light to take me home
I need a star to follow
I don't know

I never see the forest for the trees
I could really use your melody
Baby I'm a little blind
I think it's time for you to find me

Can you be my nightingale?
Sing to me
I know you're there
You could be my sanity
But bring me peace
Sing me to sleep
Say you'll be my nightingale

I don't know what I'd do without you
Your words are like a whisper cutting through
As long as you are with me here tonight
I'm good

Can you be my nightingale?
Feels so close
I know you're there
Oh, nightingale
You sing to me
I know you're there
'Cause baby you're my sanity
You bring me peace
Sing me to sleep
Say you'll be my nightingale

I finished straightening my long blonde hair and stared at my appearance in the mirror. A thin cropped red sweater, jeans, black leather jacket and black ankle boots. My makeup is done. Everything's done. Today's the first day of my junior year in high school. I'm supposed to be a senior. But I have dyslexia and ended up failing 8th grade. It didn't matter though. It's not like I had any friends. I still don't, really. But people like to pretend they're my friends because I've been modeling since I was 5 and I've met a ton of celebrities and been to a lot of cool events. But a lot of people talk shit about me behind my back. Always have. I'm depressed, but I put up a good front. I'm extremely popular. But I only have 3 people I talk to. I'm sassy as hell but it's only to keep up my act. I grabbed my school bag and my cell phone before going downstairs to see my mom and younger brothers Henry and Neal. Henry and I are adopted. But they love us like we're biological. Henry's 14 and Neal is 6. Henry has shaggy dark brown hair and brown eyes while Neal and I have blonde hair. He has bright blue eyes and I have grey eyes. David and Mary Margret Nolan adopted us. Henry and I came from the same group home. I was 5 and Henry was 2. He was my best friend. That's why they adopted us together. We kept the last name Swan from when we were in the group home. Neal is David and Mary Margret's biological son but they love us all the same. "Did David already leave for work?" I asked. She nodded and I sighed. He's a deputy for Sheriff Graham and Mary Margret is the mayor. "Want any breakfast?" She asked. I shook my head and gave her a side hug. "Bye mom. Bye guys." I said, kissing Henry's head. He smiled and hugged me. Then Neal hugged me. "Have a good day." I said to both of them. They both nodded and I left the kitchen, heading for the front door. I grabbed my car keys from the bowl by the door and left the house, going to my pastel yellow Porsche convertible. Mary Margaret gave it to me 2 years ago for my 16th birthday. Henry and I both have birthdays in October. His is the 11th and mine is the 23rd. He'll be 15 and I'll be 18. Neal's birthday is July 12th. I walked to my car and got in, throwing my bag in the passenger seat and putting my phone in the cup holder. My car is flashy, but Mary Margret gave it to me and I really appreciate it. I turned the car on and turned the radio on before smiling at the song about to start. Purpose by Justin Bieber. I looked down and saw a picture of my ex Girlfriend Elise in the passenger cup holder and I picked it up, staring at it for a minute before putting it back down. She died last year from cancer. We were the same age, so she was a junior. We had been dating for three years when she died. I was with her. I put on my seatbelt and backed out of the driveway. It's 7:20. School opens at 7:30. And I'm always there right at 7:45. No one else hardly is since school doesn't start until 8:45. But I like being early. And today I wanna get the paper copy of my schedule and meet my closest friend Ruby. My last ex, Ella, was a bitch. She tricked me into loving her and I'm still trying to get over her. It's been 8 months. We only dated for one month but I loved her so much. I really don't know how it happened. They tell you moving on is easy, but moving on is actually one of the most difficult things to do. Getting over someone is a constant state of missing them to wishing they didn't exist. Loving them to hating them. Wanting them to never talk to you again to hoping and wishing they'd send you a text. It slowly gets easier as the distance between you gets bigger but I don't know if you can truly get over someone you once cared about. They'll always hold a piece of your heart and be a part of who you were and who you are. No matter how hard you try to move on and not have them sneak into your mind. I drove to school and parked, looking around at all the cars in the parking lot. I guess everyone else wants to be here early too. I got out of my car with my bag and a few guys walking by whistled. I smirked at them but inwardly rolled my eyes. I locked my car and put my keys in my bag and checked my phone, seeing Ruby had texted me. I ignored it and went inside the school. I went straight to the cafeteria and found Ruby. She smiled at me and hugged me tightly. "Oh gods Emma. I think you got hotter since i last saw you." She said. I laughed as she handed me my schedule. "We don't have any classes together. But we do have lunch. And you have art class with my girlfriend." She said, smiling. "Belle?" I asked. She nodded happily and I smiled. "C'mon Red. I wanna go to my locker." I said. She nodded and we left the cafeteria. We went to our lockers and I watched as people walked by, some pointing at me and whispering and others smiling and waving. I turned back to my locker and unlocked it, quickly. "What's with the freshman this year." I mumbled. "I know. They're even worse than last year." She said. "Well, I mean, they're not bad. I just don't know why they're all so like.. Star struck. I'm not famous or anything." I mumbled. "Well, you're super hot. And you basically are famous." She said. I sighed and grabbed my stuff for creative writing. My first class. "But I'm not." I said, annoyed. She smiled. "Whatever Em. So, I hear you have hottie Mills for your first class of the day." She said, poking at the small strip of skin visible of my stomach. I rolled my eyes and she smiled, brightly. "Yeah I do. How have I still never seen her if she's so hot?" I asked as we walked towards the commons. She smiled and flicked a piece of her long brown hair over her shoulder. That's when I noticed the red streaks in her hair. "Oh hey. You finally did the red streaks." I said. She smiled and nodded. "Took me forever to convince Granny." She said. I laughed as a gorgeous brunette walked by and I quickly sobered up, staring at her as she walked past us. "Good morning Miss Lucas." She said and I swear, her voice is pure sex. She's wearing a tight black pencil skirt, a red blouse tucked in, black 5 inch stilettos and her dark brown, almost black, hair is perfectly straightened and stops just above her boobs. "Good morning Ms. Mills." Ruby said and my eyes went wide as she walked off. I turned to Ruby and she smirked. "Holy hot." I murmured. She patted the top of my head and smiled. "Careful Ems, your gay is showing." She whispered and walked off. I bit my lip. There's no way in hell I'm going to be able to sit in her class for a fucking year and be able to concentrate.

When the first bell rang at 7:55, I made my way to Ms. Mills' classroom and felt my heart rate speed up. I walked in and found a seat on the front row. Right in front of her desk. Then she walked in and smiled. "Good morning." She said, happily. I swallowed heavily and stared at the top of my desk. "It seems you're my only early person. I bet I'll like you." She said and I looked up. She smiled at me and I bit my lip. "You're quiet. Why?" She asked and walked around her desk, leaning against the edge. I looked her up and down and couldn't even try to cover it up. "You're the most popular student, I hear. And you're only a junior. I would've thought you would've been more of a talker. And not an early class goer." She said and crossed her arms. I looked up and she was smirking. "I... Normally talk a lot more." I mumbled. She smiled. "What's holding you back?" She asked, staring into my eyes. And gods, her eyes. Her gorgeous cocoa eyes. I blushed. "Apparently I can't talk around gorgeous women." I mumbled and my eyes went wide, my hand flying up to cover my mouth. She chuckled. I looked up and she smiled. "Well, Ms. Swan, I'm glad you find me gorgeous." She said, almost flirtily. I bit my lip and looked away. "So, since you're early. Would you like to go ahead and start on today's assignment? We'll go over the syllabus and such in class but I can go ahead and give you yours if you'd like." She said, happily. I nodded and she smiled. "Alright. So, I just want you to write something from the heart today. Just to see what I'm working with. And here," she said, grabbing a paper from her desk before turning back to me, "is your syllabus." She said, handing me the paper. I took it and skimmed over it before nodding and opening my notebook. "Thanks Ms. Mills." I mumbled. She smiled and nodded, but stayed standing pretty much right in front of me. I bit my lip as I immediately started writing. I wrote the title on my page and underlined it, smiling.
35 (or so) Things to Tell my Future Daughter