Silent Operator | The Accomplice (Part 2)

Start from the beginning

There is no cause for envy really. While I am not blind to R3's looks, I think I may be immune. That's the answer i give to my friends when they ask me about him. He's always been just there, you know? So his presence really is not overwhelming or extraordinary for me. Friendzoned? Not really. It's just that, he's there. Always been.

Anyway, here we are taking photos. Ridiculous photos if you ask me. This is a debut, not a wedding. Why do we need so many pictures together? But anyway, Mom and Tita M wanted behind-the-scenes photos, and that includes R3. The coordinator told us that they're about to introduce me so he offered his arm to me so he can walk me towards the door where I will be going out.

"Brie," he put a hand on my own that was holding on to his arm. "Are you nervous?"

"A bit. Everyone will be looking at me. What if i trip walking down the staircase?"

"Don't be. You look beautiful." He looked at me this time. The rare dimple taking a peak with his smile.

"And if you trip, I'll rush up to catch you. I'll be standing in the middle naman. Waiting for you." He gave my hand a squeeze.

"Thanks R3."

"No problem. Just smile okay? And enjoy the night. This is yours."

See? He's always, just there. For me.

"Ladies and gentlemen, friends and family, we are very glad to introduce to you, the debutante, our daughter, Sabrina Tumulak Gogna!" That was dad. Always so comfortable on stage with a microphone.

The doors opened and the spotlight's on me. I looked down and saw my family on stage, and everyone else was on their feet clapping. And I looked down the stairs and saw R3 in the middle of it. I took a deep breath and I saw him flash me a reassuring smile.

His dimple is contagious. I nervously smiled too, while walking down. It was such a relief for me once I reached where he was standing and I'm able to hold on to his arm again. At least now, for the other half of the stairs, I won't have to go down on my own.

"Just smile, Brie. You're doing great." His other hand is on top of mine again and I just smiled. The thing about growing up together, though we may not be as close, is that we know each other enough. Enough to read how the other feels. He knows how to make me feel safe, he always does. Because he's there, always.

He handed me over to my dad for the start of the dance. Since I refused to him being my 18th rose, dad insisted he would be the first. He was after all, the first man in my life. His words.

And would be the only man for another decade. His words also.

The dances went along great. Being passed on from one partner to another is not that easy. And I have to dance through all of it, with flowers in my hand. It's getting heavy. But I kept on smiling because I wanted to last until this next dance...

Jacob.

He gave me a smile as he took my hand and started to dance with me. He has this smug look on his face which I would otherwise hate on someone else. But confidence, his confidence, is attractive, y'know? I can see dad looking at us from time to time. And Jacob would glance around somewhere as if he's looking for someone and then looked down on me. I know I'm blushing.

"You look pretty tonight Sab."

"Thanks Jacob."

"I heard you were supposed to ask me to be your escort."

"Yes, supposed to be. But we changed plans." I wasn't about to tell him my dad did not agree because I do not want to look pityful, or too eager.

"Too bad, you could have spent the whole party with me."