Ch. 15

I hadn't even noticed Avery had put me in his bed. I had obviously slept through it after I fell asleep on his motorcycle. When I woke up it was a bit shocking and I had to remember where I was. But after breakfast I had to go home.

"Technically I don't have to go home," I say to Avery as we walk downstairs to get his motorcycle.

"Yeah, you do, it's been four days. Your moms going to be upset," he says.

I frown. "Oh yeah."

I climb on the back of Avery's motorcycle and hook my hands together across his stomach.

As soon as we get to my house he kisses me goodbye without getting off his motorcycle and drives away. I stand in the same exact spot to make sure he wasn't kidding. He left without a word. With one kiss. It wasn't even a good kiss. It was one, and quick.

I turn on my heel and walk to the door. After, I turn the doorknob but it's locked.

I groan and slam my forehead against the door. "Mom! Open the door!"

I trip when my brother opens it.

"Where's mom?" I ask him.

His eyes narrow and he walk away without a word.

"Jacob!" I yell, grabbing his shoulder to make him face me. "Where is everyone?"

"There out looking for you," he says through clenched teeth. "Whenever you go off to who the hell knows where with Avery we all worry, especially mom. Do you know how much she's been drinking?" that's when I notice the dark circles under his eyes, his hunched posture, and the lines on his forehead.

"Jacob, I'm sorry," I say though my voice is barely audible and guilt is swept over my whole body, making me shake.

He takes a deep breath and brings me into a hug.

"Abby's asleep, she hasn't been sleeping very well. She's getting the nightmares again," he murmurs. "Moms probably at the bar."

I push myself out of Jacob's grasp and run upstairs to my room. I don't look back so he can't see the tears in my eyes.

Jumping on my bed, I bury my body in blankets and stuff my head into the pillow. I don't come out. Even for food when my stomach makes aching sounds.

The front door opens and I walk to my door, peaking out slightly.

It's mom.

I shuffle out of my room and downstairs to meet my drunken mother.

Her skin is deathly white, her eyes barely open and she's falling to the ground, trying to stay up by scratching at the walls.

A wailing scream comes out of my mouth.

I've seen my mother drunk. I've seen my mother on drugs but this. This scares the hell out of me.

She crawls over to me and begs me for water, gasping like she's just taken a walk in the desert. My stomach clenches but I make my feet move.

Once she has gulped the water down, some of it not even reaching her mouth, she passes out.

I sprint upstairs, two steps at a time, slam my door shut and let my body fall to the ground, sinking my head into my knees.

Tears threaten to fall but I push them way back.

"This is your fault," I whisper to myself. "This is all your fault. Mom, Abby, Jacob. All of their problems started with you!"

My fists clench and I end up pounding them against the door, over and over until my knuckles start to bruise.