Ch. 13

When we get up to the castle and into Alexandra's room Avery starts bursting with questions, threatening Derek and shushing me. 

"Avery!" Alexandrea yells. "If you let us talk we'll answer any questions you might have afterwards, okay?" 

He sighs and nods. 

"I met Derek at the book shop that he works at. And he didn't run away in horror," she laughs to herself. "But we talked for awhile and I explained everything." 

"Everything?" Avery asks. 

"Everything," Derek repeats. "I was kind of freaked out," he adds. 

"Why would you tell him everything?" Avery asks. 

"He diserves an explanation. I mean the whole town is afraid of us," she shrugs. 

I frown. "How come you didn't explain everything to me?" I question Avery. "I had to find out everything for myself." 

"Because you can't just tell whoever you want that-" 

"That our ancestors we accused of witch craft," Andrea inturrupts him. 

I can feel my frown deepening.

Avery narrows his eyes at her but she gives a weak smile. 

Andrea turns to Derek. "Do you want a tour?" 

"Sure," he shrugs. 

As they both walk out I turn to Avery. 

"What just happened?" 

"I don't know," he says slowly. "I think Alexandrea just lied. Come on." 

I follow him up the steps. 

"Alexandrea!" he calls. A few seconds later she appears. "We need to talk." 

She nods and all of us walk into Avery's room. 

"What about Derek? Won't he be looking for you?" I ask. 

"No," she wraps her arms around herself. 

"What's going on?" Avery asks. 

She takes a deep breath and shuts her eyes. "I didn't mean to," she clenches her fists as tears fill her eyes. 

"What did you do?" he asks. 

She opens her eyes. "When I told Derek the truth. The real truth, he freaked out and was screaming. I had to do something before he started to tell all of the towns people. So I did a simple memory spell to make him forget but the spell went so wrong," she sighs, obviously trying to get rid of her now falling tears. "I didn't know his life story so I gave him the false accusation that I was his girlfriend." 

"You did what?" Avery yells. 

"I know I know," she puts her face in her hands. 

"No, Alexandrea. This is horrible, if the Elders find out you did this you will be locked in jail, or worse. They'll kill you. We're already in trouble with the whole cursed family; not supposed to be together," he gestures to me. 

"I panicked okay?"

Avery's pov

I open my mouth but the clock on the wall pushes open a bird, "Coocoo. Coocoo.

"Elise, can I have a minute with Alexandrea?" I ask. 

She nods and walks out of the room. 

I glance at the clock, my stomach turning with a slight hatred. I run a hand across my face.