Chapter 6

So the timing for these last two chapters is really confusing, but basically Thomas and Metias had that fight before June left her apartment, and then Thomas left to do his rounds and found June walking down the street.

(June's POV)

I'm heading towards the bus station down the street from my apartment building when a military jeep pulls up beside me.

"Ms. Iparis?"

I turn to see Thomas, frowning, both hands clasped tightly to the steering wheel. He's obviously on duty, so technically he shouldn't be stopping to talk to anyone, let alone his captain's little sister. "Hi, Thomas."

He cocks his head to the side. "What are you still doing in Ruby? Shouldn't you be at Drake?"

"Yeah." I shrug. "Metias wasn't home last night, and he didnt show up this morning to take me to school, either, so I was going to take the bus." I gesture to the bus stop sign not far ahead.

An emotion I can't place flashes across Thomas' features for an instant, but then it's gone. "Would you like me to give you a ride, instead?" He asks politely.

I narrow my eyes at him. "Are you allowed to do that?"

He bites his lip. "Well, no, not exactly," he says after a brief pause. "But I don't think Captain Iparis would mind. I'm sure he'd rather drive you himself, of course, but I assume he's very busy."

"I guess so," I agree, climbing into the jeep. "By the way, Thomas, you don't happen to know where my brother was last night, do you? He didn't call, which was unusual."

The lieutenant is silent for a moment. He presses his foot onto the gas pedal and stares through the windshield as he drives. "I'm sorry, Ms. Iparis, I can't say I do," he says finally, though he seems slightly uncomfortable saying it. "But you're right, that does seem unlike him."

I look him over, analyzing his body language. He's gripping the steering wheel so tight that his knuckles are probably white under his gloves. His back is straight and stiff, stiffer than normal for a soldier -- even for Thomas. He's staring a little too intently at the road, like he's purposefully trying to avoid my eyes, and every now and then he shifts uneasily in his seat.

He's lying.

I fold my arms over my chest. "Don't even bother trying, Thomas."

Thomas flinches, but doesn't look at me. "I beg your pardon, Ms. Iparis?"

"I know you're lying," I sigh, "so you might as well just tell me what you know."

He doesn't answer, keeping his eyes locked on the road.

"Oh, come on, Thomas, you can tell me," I push. "Was he at a club or something? Doing something irresponsible that neither of you would want me to know? I won't tell him you told me, I promise."

Silence.

My eyes widen. "Was he with a girl?"

"I already told you, I don't know where he was," Thomas quickly insists.

"So I'm right!" I exclaim. "It's been years since Metias had a girlfriend. Do you know her name? What does she look like? How long has Metias been dating her behind my back?"

"No," Thomas says calmly, pulling to a stop in front of the university and putting the jeep in park. "Captain Iparis does not have a girlfriend -- at least, as far as I know -- and besides, even if he did, it is not within my rights to disclose --"