It's what Zara had been trying to tell me. Not no one. No one. Alone, we were teenagers. But when five teenagers worked together unconditionally, they became a force to be reckoned with. Huh.

I wouldn't have been surprised if the Twin Peaks could hear the cheering that erupted from the guards in the courtyard. I found myself being congratulated and embraced by people I had never even met. The Moon Guard had been instructed to keep their distance during the training period, but that was over now.

Zara herself appeared to wrap me in a warm hug, while the rest of her patrol patted us on the back. None of us could contain laughter when Tobias the Giant's overenthusiastic slap on the back nearly knocked Alex over. Finally, when I didn't think I could feel any more accomplished, the commander shouted for silent before beginning the traditional congratulation speech.

"I think I speak for all of us when I say how amazing that was. Not only are you the first candidates to complete the challenges in less than a week, but you also completed the last one missing a team member." Commander Peyton was the type of person who didn't have to raise their voice to be heard.

"To those whom we will now be bidding farewell ... thank you for your efforts. You will be escorted to the valley border, where it is up to you to make your way home."

For the first time, I turned my attention to where the other candidates formed a miserable huddle. Olivia and her friends looked close to crying, Corban and Matthias were giving us rueful smiles, and Patrick just seemed confused. It was lucky Ethan wasn't present, although I would have liked to see the look on his face.

Even as we watched, a guard moved to escort them out of the fortress. It suddenly became incredibly convenient that they had no belongings to collect. Eleven people who wouldn't make it into the Moon Guard and now had to return to school next year, left Evarlin right there and then. I later found out they were sent away so quickly was because what was coming next could not be witnessed by outsiders.

"We have need of your final comrade now. Could someone kindly inform Kaeden Davengard that he needs to make his way to the courtyard with all possible haste? Let's pardon him while we're at it," the commander continued.

Kai didn't take long to arrive. And then we were hugging all over again, all five of us. The Moon Guard didn't seem all that concerned by the impromptu delay, in fact several of them whooped. Kai bent his head to whisper to us in the huddle.

"I was watching from the window. Good work, guys, and sorry."

"It wasn't your fault," Ben shot back just as quietly. "And you know, we can do some things without you."

Kai was grinning as we turned back to face the commander. The Moon Guard had formed ranks behind us, nearly twenty patrols were present that day and lined up. The army at our backs dressed in black and silver was an impressive sight.

"Please kneel," the commander said.

We did as he said. My knees touched the dirt, my shoulders brushed against Kai and Alex next to me. I was trembling with barely contained exhilaration. Despite every dream of one day joining these elite ranks, I had never completely believed I would make it. Kai must have noticed my shaking, because he took my hand discreetly.

Commander Peyton walked along the line, pining a small silver badge to each of us. It depicted the sigil of the guard, a crescent moon on a dark sky. The last time I had seen one of these, it was on Seb. "Do you know the vows?"

We had learnt them in a hurry this morning, in anticipation of attempting the challenges. As one voice, we recited the words.

"I swear to uphold the laws of the realm and bring those who defy them to justice. I swear to defend the weak and protect the helpless. I swear my undying loyalty to the King, the Queen and the Royal Family of the Free Isle. I will lay down my life for any of them if need be. May the Moon Goddess witness my vow and hold me to it until the day I die."