Chapter 9: Hate the Game

Previously in Deception:

Feeling an urge of fortitude, I walk across the kitchen to the group of guys and cross my arms. Their smiles grow and a shiver slides down my back.

"Your staring is annoying." I spit. The guys share a look and the one in front licks his lips.

"You are a beautiful girl." He says, his eyes snaking down my body. Suddenly, I don't feel so confident anymore. The normal trepidation of being touched has returned to my body and I take a step back. They take a step forward. The guy in the front is grinning so wide and disgustingly that the vodka twirling in my stomach is begging to be thrown up into his face. He opens his mouth to speak as if he is going to say something to seal the deal, to make sure I can't escape.

But then he closes his mouth and his eyes widen in what looks like...horror. The guys behind him quickly turn around and I watch his lip tremble. Then he turns around and follows them as they escape into a farther room, disappearing from sight.

Huh.

The minute I feel moist breath trail down my neck, I finally realize.

Behind me.

"You have been avoiding me," that familiar, husky voice breathes into my ear.

Chapter 9:

I turn around swiftly to face him. He is dressed in tight, dark jeans with navy blue flannel and a beanie.

"No." I breathe.

"I am no fool, Charlie. And you really shouldn't be alone at a party like this." He growls.

"I didn't come alone." I mutter.

"Whom did you come with?" Harry steps closer to me until his face his slightly above mine. Don't say it, Charlie.

"Charlie, who?" he asks, this time more gentle.

"Niall." I close my eyes.

"And he just left you alone? Do you know how many guys could...I am going to kill him." He seethes and I watch his whole eyes turn black. He begins to walk past me with his fists clenched and I panic.

"Why do you even care?" I say loudly. He freezes and turns to face me. The alcohol is definitely messing with my brain.

Suddenly he walks back such ascendancy, so much intensity in his eyes that I almost fall back. "Because." He breathes into my face and I inhale his cologne trying not to flinch.

"If any guy is going to hurt you, its going to be me." he growls and I no longer recognize his soft green eyes. They have vanished.

"You're too late for that." I whisper and his eyes turn grey. Then I bump past him and walk towards where I left Niall, immediately regretting going to the kitchen in the first place.

Before I can make it to the bar, Jo pops up in front of me with wide eyes.

"He's here." She bites her lip nervously.

"I am aware." I groan.

"I am so sorry Charlie, I didn't know he would come. He never comes to these things. Him and his little gang never come."

"It's fine, I am just going to try to find a ride back to the dorm, I am really tired."I try smile reassuringly. Before Jo can even try to convince me to stay, I walk past her towards the stairs and take a seat on the bottom step. The music is so emphatic and I almost have to keep my eyes down in order to avoid seeing people practically fucking in the open.