"Yes I do. You're predictable."

I glared at him. "I'm going home."

"Do you wanna die?"

"No."

"Then stop being so fucking stubborn. Can't you relax for ten minutes and let me keep you alive?"

"I seriously doubt you can keep me alive."

"I'm your best bet."

"You're probably going to kill me yourself."

He rolled his eyes. "If I was going to kill you I wouldn't do it in my own home."

"Maybe you're just saying we're going to your house."

"You're paranoid."

"That's exactly what you want me to think."

"I wasn't going to kill you, but I'm seriously second guessing my decision now."

I didn't want to show how nervous his statement made me. I wasn't sure why, but him actually saying something like that got to me. Maybe it was because I didn't know what he actually did for the mafia. There was a part of me that wondered why he was so reluctant to tell me anything. I might not have known anything about his life, but I knew him. I knew that he wasn't a horrible person.

"I was joking," he said.

"I know. I didn't say you weren't."

"The look on your face said everything."

I glanced around the busy room. I would never admit that I doubted him because that would just give him fuel. I wasn't going to do that.

"Whatever. Let's just go. I'm hungry."

"Already?"

"Some of us have been working all night, Giovanni," I shot back.

"Well, come on. We'll have lunch and go back to my house."

I nodded and stuffed my hands in my pockets as we walked down the halls to my office.

I hated my dinky little office, but I was thankful that I had one at all. Even if it was just a desk, small couch, and two chairs with no windows. The carpets were old and the only decorations were my degrees and certificates. I had always imagined I would have an impressive office like my father, but I was also just starting out while he was a world class surgeon.

I pushed the door open and went to grab my bag behind my desk.

"You went to Berkley?"

"Yep."

"What'd you get your degree in?"

"I double majored. Biology and chemistry."

"Probably graduated with honors too," he joked.

"Summa cum laude," I confirmed.

He rolled his eyes and pushed off the door frame. "Of course you were."

I shrugged and locked my office door.