Hormones My Arse! [2]

Start from the beginning

Jack huffs angrily with a roll of his eyes.

"I got the Nutella down for you so you wouldn't have to get up on the counter. You need to start being a little more careful now Meredith." 

My happy mood fades as he scolds me in front of his guest. He treats me like I'm a child, which technically compared to him I am. 

"I'm fine. I'm not made of glass." I grumble staring down at my half-eaten toast that I've suddenly lost my appetite for.

"Don't mumble Meredith. I can't understand you."

I narrow my eyes. 

"I said, I'M NOT MADE OF GLASS! STOP TREATING ME LIKE A DAMN CHILD!"

He looks surprised at my outburst and gives me a warning glare. Of course, I ignore it.

"What is the matter with you? Ever since I told you I was pregnant, you've been treating me like some delicate flower. It's annoying! I'm not any less capable of doing things than I was before!" I rant as I throw my toast in the bin and attempt to leave the kitchen.

Jack is up in a flash and grabbing my arms to prevent me leaving. I've never seen him move so fast and for a second I'm frozen in shock. Did I imagine him moving that fast or did that actually just happen?

"Watch your tone." He hisses low in my ear. 

"Let go." I struggle to get out of his hold and gasp when I land too hard on my right foot. 

I grip Jack's shirt tightly as tears fill my eyes. Ignoring Jack, I look down at my foot cursing at the pain. Lifting it off the floor, I stand on one foot while trying to push Jack away from me. He's my only support of balance right now but I don't care.

"Go away! God, it hurts!" I cry finally managing to push him away.

"Jack." It's the sound of his voice that makes me realise we're still in the company of a guest and here we are fighting.

I lean back against one of kitchen counters as they exchange a few words quietly. Jack takes a deep calming breath before approaching me again. He doesn't say anything, he just gently picks me up bridal style and carries me out of the kitchen.

I want to protest and demand that he puts me down but I know I won't be able to walk back upstairs myself until I rest my ankle for a bit. He doesn't say a word as he places me down on the bed and disappears into the bathroom, coming back a few seconds later with a cold flannel that he puts over my ankle. With that, he leaves.

It's almost an hour later when the bedroom door opens and Jack walks in. I'm curled up on our bed, still simmering in anger. He comes to sit beside me and begins stroking my hair. I don't say a word. I'm angry that he's suddenly treating me like I'll break any second just because I'm pregnant. I'm upset that he had a go at me in front a stranger but I'm mostly embarrassed that we argued in front of him. 

"How's your ankle?" Jack asks softly.

I still say nothing. I just stare at the wall opposite me and hope he'll take the hint and leave me alone.

"Are you ignoring me?"

Again I say nothing. Jack sighs in frustration but doesn't leave.

"Come on Meredith, I just want you to be careful now that you're pregnant."

"I'm not fragile." I grunt. He needs to know that how he spoke to me and how he acted was wrong.

"Yes, you are. You're human and you're still in the early stages of pregnancy. A fall could be fatal."

I sit up and narrow my eyes at him. 

"You're human too, I don't see what that has to do with anything. What does that even mean?"

Jack curses under his breath and shakes his head.

"My point is that you can't be running up the stairs and jumping off of counters. Please just be careful."

"You shouted at me in front of your guest." I mumble, losing my edge to continue being angry. It's just too much effort.

"I didn't shout. I was just being firm. You were shouting." He replies raising an eyebrow.

"I was angry." I say, deciding to look at the bed sheets and pull at a loose piece of thread instead of looking at him.

He tilts my head up with his hand and brushes his thumb over my cheek.

"I know. You're hormonal sweetheart. It's OK."

My jaw nearly drops in disbelief. Is he serious right now? This isn't my hormones. This is him being a jerk! I scoff and get up from the bed. Now I'm pissed again.

"Where are you going?"

"Away from you! Hormones my arse!" I growl before slamming the bathroom door behind me.

And we're back to square one.