ten

CHAPTER TEN - BRODY MILLER

Knock, knock.

I let out a groan and go to roll over to shove my face into my pillow and pull my covers over my head to ignore the world. Instead, I'm greeted by a mass of blonde curls and a fruity vanilla scent.

Again.

For the past two mornings, I've woken up in the same way and I wouldn't change it for the world.

"Go answer the door," Hailey murmurs from next to me. Peeling open my eyes slowly, I let them adjust to the light before I realize that we're not even in a bed. We're still on the couch after falling asleep after watching TV way into the night.

I shake my head and bury my face into the crook of her neck. "No, it's your door, you go answer it."

Knock, knock.

"But I'm not awake. I haven't even opened my eyes," she groans before turning onto her other side, cuddling into my chest.

"Cupcake, go and answer the door. You have more clothes on," I insist, brushing the hair out of her face. She's super fucking cute when she's half asleep.

She lets out a massive groan before rubbing her eyes and trying to open them. "Fuck, it's bright in here."

A smile plays on my lips as she swears into my chest. Yeah, okay, I'll take the blame.

She blinks a few times and sits up, running a hand through her hair before shuffling over to the door. After pulling it open, her posture is suddenly straight and a panicked look is on her face as her gaze flicks between me and whoever is on the other side of the door.

"Um, Mom, Dad, what are you doing here?" Hailey asks with fake enthusiasm.

Instantly, I'm on my feet and channeling the same panic. Hailey's eyes widen at me when she realizes the fact that I'm basically half-naked. I search quickly around me for something to put on but all of my stuff is in Hailey's room.

Although it's already too late. An older, plumper version of Hailey is already waltzing into the apartment, her eyes widening when she lands on me.

I know what she's seeing - random guy without a shirt on, his hair a complete mess and his jeans halfway down his ass. God, what I sight I must be right now. What a first impression.

"Hailey Jayne Allen, why is there a half-naked boy in your living room?" Her mom says with her hands on her hips, her eyes not leaving mine.

Hailey freezes for a moment before smiling. "Oh, Brody? He's Naomi's latest catch. He stayed here while she went to get coffee."

Her dad shakes his head. "No, he's not. Naomi was at Brad's sitting on the lap of some blonde boy. Owen, I think his name was."

She sighs and looks between the two of them. "Mom, Dad, this is my friend, Brody," she introduces us before turning to her dad and adding, "He's a massive Hawks fan." I'm guessing he's a fan, too.

"You embarrassed by me, cupcake?" I tease, folding my arms across my chest with a small smirk.

She looks me up and down and scrunches up her nose at me in such an adorable way, I kinda want to kiss her. "I mean, who wouldn't be? You shop at Target."

"Hailey!" Her mom exclaims, clearly mortified about her daughter's apparent morals. "Money isn't everything."

"Mom, I was joking," she replies with a smile. "Brody is richer than everyone I know. Combined."

"Way to make me sound good," I mutter, earning a slap on the arm from Hailey.

Her mom looks me up and down and for the first time in my life, I find myself feeling self-conscious about my body. Don't get me wrong, I know I've got muscles in all the right places but right now, I'm being checked out in such an intense way, it's making me want to cover everything up.