Chapter 3

As soon as their eyes met, Darius released all his strength and broke free from the arms restraining him. Emma watched for a few seconds as he tossed chairs out of his way, knocked food from people's trays and pushed everyone out of his way. The fact that all this was obviously in his desperate need to get to her, she did the only thing she could think of. She ran. 

Once again she heard that angry howl. This time, everyone seemed to find their voice because the dining hall erupted in noise as everyone moved out of the Alpha's way. She made it to the exit even though people were now trying to stop her, no doubt thinking she was a criminal the way Darius was reacting. 

She ran outside, not knowing where to go. The woods, she thought. She was fast. But she was no match for an Alpha or his soldiers, especially in human form. She had barely made it into the woods and was just about to shift when she found herself slammed to the ground. 

She gasped and tried to pull herself free, wincing as her shoulder twisted in a painful way. It was all for nothing. He had her pinned. She looked up into Darius's eyes and her breath stopped. His body was still human but his eyes were completely wolf. She was stunned he was maintaining enough control to not completely shift. 

"Darius! Darius please listen! Look at her. She's frightened," Lila was saying. Other voices joined in begging their Alpha to let go. 

"Darius," Orin said gently, "She's hurt. We need to get her fixed up." He tried to move closer but Darius quickly shifted his body so that he was in between the pack and Emma. 

"Emma, sweetheart," Lila tried again, "I know you're scared but that's fueling him. He thinks you're in danger. He doesn't understand he's the one frightening you. You have to talk him down." 

Emma took in a deep breath, swallowing a sob. 

"Darius? Darius please. Let them help. They aren't trying to hurt us," she said gently.  

She watched as his eyes focused on hers and saw some of the panic and fear leave. So she continued. 

"These are your friends. Your soldiers, your packmates. They would never hurt you. And I don't think they would ever hurt me," she said, letting her hand reach up to touch his cheek. 

There was a chorus of agreement as everyone assured him they meant her no harm. Darius turned so that he could smell her hand. He buried his nose in her wrist and took several deep breaths. 

"Is it alright if I get up now?" she asked. "I think I dislocated my shoulder. I need to go fix it." 

Darius turned at the sound of her voice and she was relieved to see the wolf was retreating. But she knew he lurked close to the surface.  

"You...you...you're hurt!" With that, the human regained full control over his wolf. "Help her!" he cried out. 

Emma would have laughed if she hadn't been in so much pain. All she could do was grimace as Orin and Lila ran over and helped her off the ground. No sooner had she stood up than she found herself in the air and crushed across a strong chest. 

She looked up to find Darius glaring at Orin who was now backing away with his hands in the air.  

"I meant no disrespect Alpha's. I only wanted to help," Orin said with a small bow. 

"There's no use trying to reason with him right now," Lila said in a dry voice as Darius turned with Emma in his arms. "Our Alpha's in the middle of a mating frenzy. He won't let any unmated male near her until he calms down. It's probably worse since he hasn't marked her." 

Orin and the others turned to Lila as they quickly rushed after Darius. 

"I don't understand. Don't mating frenzies happen when mates have been separated? Emma never mentioned meeting Darius before," Orin wondered.