Prologue

Prologue

Emma's nine year old heart beat faster and faster as she drew closer to her target. Darius, newly declared alpha of the Illyrian pack, stood with his best friend Marcus, laughing as they adjusted each other's ties. She couldn't believe she had let it get this far. She had been with the Illyrian pack all summer and had never said a word to Darius, and now she had no choice. Today was his mating ceremony and he was about to tie his life to the wrong woman. She knew that without a doubt because the instant she had scented him she knew. He was her mate. Unfortunately all he saw was a slightly overweight child who not even the other children wanted to play with. She knew it was her fault. She spent more time in the forest helping birds who had broken wings and rabbits who had stepped on thorns instead of socializing. 

It was her secret, her ability to heal. Her family had been warriors and she so wanted to be like the courageous boys and girls who play fought and protected the little ones. Warriors like Darius, who at eighteen was one of the youngest Alpha's ever chosen. She now approached him and stared at him with large brown eyes and waited for him to notice her but it was Marcus who spotted her first.  

"Hello Ellie," he said with a distracted grin. "Need something?" 

Emma didn't bother to correct him when he got her name wrong. 

"Yes please. I need to speak with the Alpha. Alone," she said quietly. 

Darius frowned but nodded his head and Marcus left them alone. 

"What is it Ellie?" he asked. 

Emma could tolerate Marcus not knowing her name but her mate should at least get it right. 

"My name is Emma," she said, softly correcting him. 

"Emma. Of course," Darius said apologetically. He fidgeted with his tie. Emma knew he was much more comfortable in jeans and a t-shirt but Sylvia, the woman he had chosen, insisted on a white wedding type mating ceremony, despite the fact that it obviously didn't suit Darius. 

"My lord Alpha," she began, then blushed when Darius cringed at the use of the honorific title. 

"Darius," she began again. "Please don't do this. Don't go through with the mating ceremony." 

Darius dropped his hands from his tie and stared at her, his gaze now serious. 

"Excuse me?" he said, the timber of his voice dropping an octave. 

Emma had the urge to take a step back but instead stepped closer. 

"You must know," she whispered, "Surely you must know that she isn't your true mate. Please look at me. I know I'm young and maybe that's why you don't know but you have to try. Can't you see me?" she begged, her voice growing desperate as his eyes narrowed. 

"Young lady," he said, his voice firm but not cruel. "Did someone put you up to this? Did one of the other children dare you to say this to me?" 

Emma felt tears come to her eyes and turned red when one escaped and rolled down her cheek. At the sight of her tears, Darius's eyes softened. 

"Oh sweetheart," he said with a sigh and ran a hand through his hair. "What you feel is just a crush. I promise it'll go away. I've found my mate and one day you will too." 

"I already have," she said, the fight going out of her voice. It was over. 

He looked at the sky as if wishing something would come and swallow her whole so he didn't have to deal with her. 

"I'm sorry," she said, feeling his discomfort. The last thing she ever wanted to do was make him unhappy. "Please forgive me, I should not have spoken. I wish you a lifetime of happiness," she managed to sputter out before turning to run away but a hand stopped her. 

"Thank you Emma," Darius said with a smile. "I hope I can consider you a friend. You're a very mature and special girl." 

His kindness was too much for her to take. She nodded bravely, pulled away and quickly ran off. 

She didn't stop until she reached her room. She quickly began to pack. Her grandfather would be angry with her for missing the ceremony but she knew her heart would surely shatter into a million pieces if she went. 

Thank the goddess she was supposed to be at her new school in two days and was leaving tomorrow. She was humiliated and defeated and wanted nothing more than to be as far away from the Illyrian pack as soon as possible. Away from her mate as soon as possible.