Chapter 11

I woke in the cold morning, shivering, to find myself alone. Really, when we would they learn to wake me up when they leave me alone? I can defend myself when I'm awake, but when I am asleep I have no control over anything. It's like they want me dead. I sighed thinking of getting up and being active, then I realized, I didn't have anything to do until they got back and therefore had no need to get up yet. So for the first time since the journey began a few weeks ago, I just laid there. I had no worries, and currently no responsibilities.

I laid there for a few minutes just thinking, but the past few weeks had taught me to be restless and I soon was up moving around. I didn't want the attention that making a fire would bring, so I just paced around. I didn't have anything with me. Kenneth and Rem took all of our stuff except a piece of meat. I couldn't even eat the meat yet because I knew it would be all I had until tonight when they came back.

I cautiously walked through the forest surprised how easy it was for me to get bored. During that walk I decided I would be the one going into the city first tomorrow morning leaving them alone. It wouldn't matter, there would be two of them anyway. It would probably be safer that way anyway. Yes, I could easily use that argument against them. Maybe that wouldn't work though, I wasn't actually scared enough to pull off that argument.

I decided I might as well practice throwing my dagger and working on my aim. I went to a place in the forest with trees of all sizes. I turned and threw my dagger at a large tree time and time again. As I continued to get my exact place on the tree, I went and turned to smaller trees until I was able to hit even the smallest tree there exactly where I wanted. It was over in what I assumed to be two hours by the time I was done practicing. It was a good distraction but done too quickly.

I tried to think of other things to do and it occurred to me I hadn't tried on the dress that Charles sent me. I quickly hurried back to where we had slept slipping on my way back. As I was on the ground with my knee scraped up, I remembered all the times as a child doing that and laughed as I continued on my way. I returned and was immediately upset at the realization that they had my dress to get my size right. I sighed in dismay and slumped down against a tree wondering how long it would take them.

I was finally hungry enough by midday that I felt like I should eat some of the meat left. It was as warm as it was going to get that day but it was still cold enough that I could see my breath. However, in full light I decided no one would be willing to attack me, even if I was alone in the forest. Even so, I wanted to be safe and climbed a large tree that I would be able to support myself on and decided to rest up there. I found though that I was too nervous to fully fall asleep. The most I could do was close my eyes and listen to the noises around me.

In the distance I could hear kids laughing; I assumed they were in the city. I could also hear the opening and closing of the gate just a little west of here. With the noise of the gate came the sound of hoofs clopping as horses trotted in and out of the city with great importance. But in the forest I heard nothing. There were no animals, no people, and no threats. Just silence. I had never before been so afraid of silence.

The thought then occurred to me, what if even if we finish this quest, if we go home, what will happen to me? Even in the calmness of this day I was having a hard time having peace. Will I always be this jumpy for the rest of my life? I don't want to live like this. I then remembered the letter that Charles sent me. He warned me to cast my worries onto God and rely on Him to help me. I climbed down the tree and just sat against it as I prayed again casting all my worries aside. Soon enough, I was calm enough to doze off for a couple hours knowing I had the full protection of God.

In my dream I imagined what happened the night the queen died. The night that happened so long ago. I saw what my uncle was doing the next day realizing I was neither home nor was I with Krissy or Jeremiah. I saw the king by himself the next day, crying as he woke up the next day realizing his wife was gone and asking God to help the pain to go away. I saw Charles, too. He was staring out over the kingdom reading his Bible and praying for our safety.