Chapter 10

"Kenne-" I stopped in the middle of his name because he came walking out. With Rem walking by his side. He was using Kenneth to support him and he was still definitely weak, but he was awake, and on his feet. "Jeremiah Ruben Malanius, don't you ever do that to me again." I yelled. I ran to him and gave him a hug probably squeezing him too hard considering his state.

"Oh, owww," he cringed before saying "good to see you, too Katerina. Also, thank you, I probably would have died if you hadn't cut my leg open further. I know it was risky but you did the right thing. It was excruciatingly painful, though. I was already healing a bit and getting more energy as you continued to take care of me, then with the water of the spring, I was really woken up."

"I'm just so happy to see you up and walking around. It is nice not constantly checking to see if you are still breathing. Let me gather the food from my belongings," I figured he had drank water whether he wanted to or not at the spring therefore, I didn't worry about that. I pulled out the deer and handed him small bites for him to slowly put in his mouth and chew. We really hadn't given him food while he was unconscious in fear of him choking.

"Katerina, I heard a lot of noises while I was with Rem near the spring, what was happening. It almost sounded like metal. I almost went to see what was going on, but I figured you could keep yourself protected." I started telling them the story of what had just happened with horror in my eyes, but before I even was able to finish Kenneth was already moving us on. "I once again say, you did what you needed to. I'm actually impressed at your ability to do that. Not that killing is a good thing, but sometimes you have no choice. You would be dead if not," Kenneth assured me.

I just looked down unable to face them in shame of what I have done. I knew that it was needed and I would probably have to do it again, but I still felt bad. Was it considered a sin to defend myself like that? I didn't know anymore. Either way I spent the next hour talking to God trying to figure out what to do. To figure out why I decided to do this. Why I went on such a journey that I knew would cause harm to me and others. I may have just defeated two men, and I should have felt powerful, but I didn't. I was terrified. Terrified of what I was capable of, terrified of what I'd I have to do, and terrified of what would happen to me.

To distract myself while we walked, avoiding conversation as it would make Rem tired quicker, I picked up a branch that had followed it and started whittling it away into an arrow. Although staring at my dagger and seeing what it was capable of didn't help sooth my nerves. I eventually gave up when I realized that we didn't even have a bow with me. Suddenly I had a memory of when Rem and I were young and our first time shooting a bow and arrow, and for a moment a smiled in the memory of our youth before Jeremiah and I were responsible for the death of people.

My smile then vanished as quickly as it appeared. "Katerina, I'm afraid I'm getting quite tired, would you mind being Rem's support for a few minutes," he asked even though he was already passing Rem to me without letting me answer. I accepted and felt the new weight that was added on to my shoulders as we continued to march on.

"I really detest being spoken about as if I'm an inanimate object," Jeremiah said as he was passed along. "Although, sometimes in my current state I feel like I am!" I smiled at him teasing him about how he should be a performer with how dramatic he was these days. He didn't think it was as funny as I did. Either way, he was happy to have the support of his best friend, and I was happy to have him. Even in his condition he kept making sure I was okay.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

As the days went on Jeremiah gained more and more strength. In no time, he was walking on his own just needing minor breaks and with an occasional limp. In general he was fine though. Apparently, just a bit of medicine and an injury being cleaned out was all he needed to return to as normal as he could get. We were all currently healthy, all just waiting for one of us to be injured again.