Chapter 4

Finally, the royal family removed themselves from the throne, and the prince went to see who the first person he would dance with while the king and queen began the first dance of the night. Typically, Jeremiah chooses someone else to dance with so I wanted know who he would choose first. I know he likes the princess of Temari. Temari is only a couple kingdoms away and we have been at peace with them since the beginning of the kingdoms. Not to mention her light blonde hair and piercing blue and gold eyes made her gorgeous.

The person the prince first asks and the dance he does with her is a lot like the dance of the king and queen: they're the only people dancing and all eyes are on them. People love to watch and stare at the person the prince supposedly loves. So I watched as my best friend asked Princess Charlotte of Temari to dance with him. As always, she accepted. His face lit up as they danced around the room with everyone in the crowd watching their every step. So together looking like one, they danced fluidly all across the floor. Even though they danced for ten minutes straight, it felt so much shorter. I loved almost nothing more than seeing my friend so elated and in love.

I saw the dismay on his face as he had to bow and say goodbye at the end of the song. I'm sure everyone else saw it on his face too, for all the girls in the audience sighed as they watched the romance between the two dancers. After that, all the people were free to dance with the others in the audience. I merely had to wait to see if a man would even ask me to dance, as it is improper for a lady to ask a gentlemen. Soon a man came up to me and we did the first dance together, but it was unpleasant because he was clearly socially awkward.

However, after that dance, another man did come up to me. He was wearing a typical ballroom suit. He has dark straight hair parted back and green eyes that contradicted his dark hair. His skin color was tanned, but not very dark. He was only a little taller than me. He had a thick accent I couldn't identify but I could tell he was raised well. He was sweet as he asked me politely with a bow and holding out his hands with the compliment on my dress. I thanked him and curtsied in return. I laughed as we danced because of his teasing. "Well, you've managed to make me laugh and I don't even know your name. So please, tell me Sir, what is your name?"

"Sir Charles, my lady," he grinned. I blushed as he said that, also grinning. "What is it? Your cheeks just turned pink," he questioned.

"I was hoping that it wasn't noticeable... I'm just not used to people calling me 'My Lady' I suppose," I replied.

"Oh? Why would a lovely lady such as yourself not be used to that?" he inquired.

"Are you trying to make me blush now? Well, it is kind of a long story, I'm afraid. It would take longer than a dance to tell you. Not to mention, I should warn you, it might make our new friendship a little less important to you."

"Well, I feel as I should probably be concerned from such a statement, but also all my sense has just fled from me and I find myself quite curious about your mysterious life, My Lady" he said that before he quickly added "so I suppose I should ask, how would you feel about not dancing trough the next song and telling me?"

"That is a very tempting offer," I answered.

"So is that a deal? I promise it will only be through one song just for you to explain your story."

"Well, Cha-Sir Charles, could I refuse?" I watched as he tried not to laugh at me while I fumbled over my words almost messing up. As we finished our dance the lights sparkled off of Charles's eyes, and as he spun me around my dress slightly puffed. Our movements were completely in sync.

During the next dance I told him a bit about how I was practically raised by the king and queen, and how Jeremiah was my best friend, and how my uncle was nothing but a blacksmith. His eyes stayed focused on me intently as I talked for the next few minutes on the basics of my life story.

"I am sorry I told you all this right away, I don't tell many people unless really needed usually. I'm really becoming one of the normal ladies of the palace always blabbing on. Oh, I'm so sorry," I blabbed on.

He chuckled only to reply with a sparkle in his eye, "Surprisingly, I don't mind it with you." At that moment, Jeremiah walked up to us.

He nodded to both of us as he said "Prince Charles of Lengel, it is a pleasure to see you again my good friend!" Jeremiah held out his hand to shake what was clearly his friend's hand. I stood there awestruck. I remembered Jeremiah telling me about his other good friend Charlie but I didn't put two and two together. I also briefly remember meeting him as kids, but it seemed so long ago. I could tell he just remembered that too, because he blinked a few times in slight confusion. So I stood there watching my best friend happily talking to this man I was becoming quite fond of. Jeremiah turned his attention to me after a couple minutes to ask, "Kat, are you ready for our dance?"

"Come on Rem, I look forward to it all year. The time it is socially acceptable for people to see us together as the best of friends." So he took my hand and led me to the floor.

"Goodbye Prince Charles," I said as I curtsied "if your grace would ever be so willing, I would love to one day hear your story."

"I will look forward to nothing more than having another conversation with you," he said as he bowed. Though I don't know if I was meant to hear it, I heard him whisper as I walked away, "My Lady."