"And what about Cassi?" asks Ms. Parker. 

            This time, I do look at Elliot's face.  I've been wondering the same thing ever since Aunt Steph slipped up. 

            "I knew that's what this is about."  He smacks his palm on the table.  "Mum.  I am done talking about her."

            "Elliot, what's going on?" I ask, my bottom lip starting to quiver.  Something is going on, but I don't know what.  I feel vulnerable and inane, because obviously, I'm the only one in the room clueless as to what's happening.

            "I'll tell you later."  His jaw is clamped a little too tightly, so much that I am almost waiting for his teeth to crack..  "Mum, don't do this.  It isn't fair."

            "No.  If things were fair, you'd be here with Cassi right now," snaps Ms. Parker.

            "For the last time, I am sorry.  But I can't change how I feel."

 "Elliot—"

"No.  I don't want Cassi or anything to do with her."

            Elliot is practically yelling now, but it isn't him that I watch.  Instead, my vision is fixed upon Ms. Parker.  Her face has remained threatening and cold for their entire conversation, but in that last moment, her austere manner slips.  Something in Elliot's words makes her gasp, and she snaps backward, almost as though she's been slapped across the face.

            I want to know the meaning of Elliot's declaration.  It doesn't quite make sense.  Elliot and Cassi are still friends, so why would he say that?  I don't know, but I can tell Ms. Parker does.

            "Elliot.  You're grounded."  She speaks through gritted teeth, leaning closer with sentence.  "No leaving the house for anything but school.  No swim.  No friends.  And definitely none of that ungrateful wench."

            I flinch at her words.  I barely know the woman, so how can she hate me so much?  Tears begin to blur my vision, but nobody else seems to notice.  They continue to argue, as though I'm not even in the room.

            "You can't keep me from seeing her." 

            "Watch me."

            "We're leaving."  Elliot shoves his chair backward and clasps my shoulder.  "Thanks for paying.  The reservation is all yours."

            With that, he storms from the room, dragging me behind him.  I don't know if I want to go with him, but I know I don't want to be alone with Ms. Parker.  I limply follow Elliot down the twist of hallways and into the parking lot.  He doesn't say anything as we walk and neither do I.  It isn't until we reach the car that I finally explode.

            "What the hell was that about?" I demand, ripping my arm from his grasp.

            "I know it sounded bad, but please, trust me."

            "Did you lie to me about Cassi?" I ask.  "Just tell me the truth, Elliot."

            "I'm not dating her and I never did."  Elliot runs a hand through his hair.  "It's really complicated.  I don't know how to explain..."

            "Well try."  I cross my arms, trying to look menacing, rather than broken.

            "I can't, Finn.  There's a lot of things that happened in the past, but I can't tell you.  I promised I wouldn't."

            "You promised who?  Cassi?"

            Elliot nods, his eyes turned away from me.

            "So you have been lying to me?"  I take a step backward and give a short, sarcastic laugh.

            "Trust me, I would tell you if I could.  It's just not my secret, alright?"

            "No.  Not alright," I say.  "You can't keep secrets from me, especially not about my sister.  You're supposed to be on my side.  You're supposed to keep my secrets, not hers.  What happened between you two?"

            I probably sound overdramatic, but I can't help myself.  He knows how hard Cassi has made my life, so why would he be protecting her from me?  Worse yet, what could've they possibly done that he won't tell me?  I want to scream and cry and laugh all at the same time.  Because here I am once again, realizing that the guy I like is actually helping Cassi.

            "I am so sorry, Finn."  He still doesn't look at me.  "I want to tell you—"

            "Just stop, okay?"  I try to laugh again, but this time, it comes out as a half-sob.  "Just take me home."

            "Did you hear anything I said to my mum?  I don't want to date Cassi; I want to date you.  I want you to be my girlfriend.  Just because my mum wants me to date her, doesn't mean I would."

            "I know that.  But the fact that something happened between you and my sister, something that obviously is too intimate for you to share, that means you would.  And I can't trust you if you've kept something big from me, especially if you won't tell me what it is."

            He opens his mouth, as though he is honestly going to spit some other lie; but then, he says nothing.  His face is so sincere, as though his secrecy is killing him more than it's killing me.  But there's no way it's hurting him worse.  I've never felt this kind of betrayal and embarrassment.  How many times do I have to hope a guy will prove me wrong?  That anyone will prove me wrong?  I don't know, but I'm getting really tired of it all.

            I don't say anything to him.  I just walk away and sit on the restaurant's curb.  My mother is home early today, so I call to beg for a ride.  Luckily, she doesn't ask many questions and simply agrees to come pick me up.  Elliot is still watching me, so I don't hang up the phone.  I keep chatting with my mother, knowing that he won't try to talk to me when I'm on the phone.  Still, he doesn't leave.

Instead, he sits against the trunk of his car, watching me with a dejected expression.  He almost looks like a kicked puppy, but I have no desire to go comfort him. 

            Because he's just like Alex and every other guy before him.

*******************************************************************

A/N:  Okay, that chapter really hated me.  But who is so proud of me for updating wayyy ahead of schedule?  I'm sorry if it's shorter than usual, but I think the next one will be back to the normal length.

            Anyway....how'd you like the chapter?  Tell me your thoughts or guess about the secret, Ms. Parker, and Finn's reaction!  I love getting comments and votes, so I'd love it if you'd take a second to do them!  Either way, thanks for reading and I hope you're enjoying it!  :)