Third quarter

Mulai dari awal

"Step aside," he said quietly. Sora stood her ground waiting for him to use his signature move. Sure enough, he used ankle break on her and she stumbled just like Aomine. When Akashi tried to make a drive, she took the ball from him as he passed her. Sora couldn't block ankle –break yet even though he had used it on her multiple times. She had simply learned to have a better equilibrium while falling. "Kise-kun," she said and passed the ball to him. She missed her aim a bit because of her awkward stance and the ball hit the floor close to him. Nonetheless, he caught it after it bounced. "Thanks-su!" he said and headed towards the hoop. Aomine was back on Akashi's tail by this time. Kise managed to score another basket.

7 - 7.

"We managed to catch up," said Aomine.

"Yeah," said Sora.

"Don't look down on me..." whispered Akashi.

Aomine eyed him suspiciously and then exchange a glance with Sora, who gave him a reassuring nod. They took their positions again.

Yukiji had the ball. She tried to pass it to Aoba but Mayu took the ball from her. Mayu passed the ball to Aomine. Aomine was blocked by Akashi. He tried to pass with a drive, but Akashi kept blocking him. Suddenly, Aomine's expression was calm. Sora caught her breath. He seemed to be going into the zone.

A shape whistle rang through the air. "Special circumstances. Time out," said coach. Sora and Akira exchanged glances. It was the zone after all. None of them said anything as they headed towards the benches. Sora knew that the g.o.m weren't allowed to play against each other using their full strength but this had just interrupted their flow. Still she was glad that had happened because she had no idea how to handle a team-mate in the zone.

"It's alright, Aominecchi," said Kise awkwardly on the bench, "We're getting ahead anyway, right Soracchi?"

"She just broke our flow," said Sora a bit sourly, "We should prepare ourselves. They might change strategies."

But luckily, the time out proved to be a short one. Coach blew her whistle after a minute and the teams headed out again.

"What's with this match and the time-outs," commented Akira.

"I'm not sure what we're doing, really," said Sora.

"Do your best."

"Yeah. You do the same too."

Akira had the ball. She passed the ball to Yukiji. Yukiji was blocked by Sora and passed to Akashi. Akashi moved for a drive and when Aomine tried to block him accordingly, he passed to Aoba using his elbow. Luckily, Mayu took the ball from her before she could raise it for a shot and passed to Sora. Sora in turn passed to Kise.

9 – 7.

Kise whooped. "Shut up before you get a warning!" hissed Sora.

"Sorry!"

"Oi... Himeji?" said Aomine doubtfully.

"Hmm?" Sora glanced towards his side and her eyes widened. Akashi was rubbing his eye slightly, as if it was itching. He stopped soon and was looking at the hoop intently.

Sora beckoned for Aomine to come over. "You want to switch?" she said.

Aomine shook his head. "No. The plan seems to be working," he said glancing at Akashi, "But..."

Sora nodded in sympathy. "Tell you what... I'll help you cover him."

"It doesn't matter. I can probably take care of it. The only one who can beat me is me."

"Aho," said Sora shaking her head.

Akira had the ball. She passed backwards to Yukiji when she was blocked by Kise. Yukiji in turn passed to Akashi when Sora headed towards her. Sora went to back up Aomine. This was probably going to be hard. Aomine stepped before Akashi.

"Move..." said Akashi again but Aomine stood his ground. Akashi used ankle break again to get past him. Sora stepped in his way this time. "Move..." said Akashi again. Sora shook her head. She glanced at Aomine, who was regaining his balance.

"Move..."

Akashi used ankle break again and Sora felt herself stumble. Luckily, Aomine had got the hint. He tried to back-tip Akashi a second after he had finished using ankle-break on Sora. Akashi seemed to predict his move and he surged forward without thinking. Sora heard a small squeak before the wind was knocked out of her. She fell and unfortunately landed with her full weight on her elbow.

"Damn it!" she cried.

Coach blew the whistle. "Boys, Number 4. Charging."

Sora received a free throw but when she flexed her arm, she flinched. She wasn't sure whether she could get the ball in. She received the ball but her hands were shaking and her elbow was searing. Sora gulped and looked at Kise, who seemed to understand. He went up to coach and whispered something. Coach gave her an irritated look and nodded. She had agreed to sub in one of her team-mates. Sora made to leave the court as Ryuusuke Sakura entered. Sakura tried to give her a high-five but Sora shook her head apologetically.

"Sora-chan..." began Akira, concerned.

Sora smiled and ruffled her hair. "Do your best. I'll be back in a bit."

Sora glanced back as she left. Most of them were looking at her but Akashi wasn't. He was just staring at the floor. That hurt Sora quite a bit. He seemed to be very nonchalant about the whole issue.

"I suppose I am the opponent's strategist..." thought Sora bitterly.

Sora went to sit on the bench. The school nurse approached her. "Come with me," she said, leading her to the one of the rooms they had hired. The nurse checked her arm and told her that she would be fine. She had just twisted it a bit. Sora saw that someone else from the team was also there. The girl had taken ill during practice. So, this is the official sick-room, huh?

"Nurse, can I go back?" said Sora meekly.

"Yes. But you're going to be a spectator though. Is that clear?" she said, eyeing her in a steely manner.

"Okay," said Sora.

------------------

A/N:

Hello, folks! I'm finally back for good after quite a while. Did anyone expect the ending? :)