Responsibility

"She's been doing exercises for a week now!" exclaimed Akira. "We've taught her nothing but the basics." Sora watched the two of them, subconsciously chewing her lip. It was all Akira could do to prevent herself from swearing. "Mai-san..." began Sora. "I'll give you a small scenario. Imagine that...."

"Enough!" interrupted Akira who was losing her patience. "How can you do this to her? Just let her play once. Even you wouldn't consent to doing drills for an entire week. You would have probably quit if the team had been so hostile when you..."

"Are you done?" said Sora coldly. Akira glared at her but Sora continued. "You would probably know the schedule I gave you by now by heart, am I right?"

"Yeah..." said Mai.

"Good. That saves me a lot of time."

Sora left leaving Akira and Mai staring after her. "Akira-sama, you play with in such adverse conditions!" said Mayu. "Dunno..." muttered Akira who was still looking at Sora.

"So I can't play today too?"

"Not during practice..." said Akira.

"I see. I'll stay a few minutes afterwards and play with you."

"I could arrange a match..." said Akira brightening.

"Nah. Don't take trouble on my behalf."

"I just wish you could just play during practice with everyone else," said Akira.

"That's true..."

Mai watched as Akira headed back to join the team. Basketball did seem to be a lot more complex than swimming. For one thing, your mind had to be in complete harmony with the other four members of the team. But unfortunately, Akira was not in the mood to humour things like that. Mai watched, confused as the teams were sorted out. She could tell that Sora made a slight effort not to be on the same side as Akira. She could tell from Akira's hair flip that she had noticed. What bothered her that she had heard that their play was extremely compatible. But right now, it seemed to be just the opposite. Mai saw Yukiji cuff Akira slightly and Akira snapped back in response. Was this really the legendary Teiko team?

Akira seemed to be in an especially foul mood that day. She had fouled Aoba a couple of times and as a result, Aoba was fuming. The tension reached a peak when she accidentally got a bit too suddenly in Mayu's way when she attempted to take the ball. As a result, Mayu cannoned into Akira and both of them fell down.

"What the hell!" exclaimed Mayu.

"Damn... People never watch where they're going," muttered Akira.

"Excuse me?" said Mayu indignantly. "You were the one who came in my way!"

"Yeah, so? I am faster than you..." said Akira. "This does happen in a game. Let's just forget it."

"You should be the last person saying that!" chimed in Aoba who wanted her say. "What is wrong with you?"

"Mayu! You okay?" demanded Miyu who had run up.

"Yeah..." muttered Mayu.

"Does anything hurt?" said Sora giving her a hand. Mayu took it and shook her head.

"For God's sake she just fell on the floor," said Akira.

"Yeah... I suppose so. Why don't we leave it at that?" said Yukiji. Mayu nodded.

"Besides, if you have any idea of taking part in the finals, you will have to go through a lot more," added Akira quietly. Mayu slowly turned around with a glare. She opened her mouth to say something when Sora interposed. "What was the score again?"