Forfeit

"What the hell are you doing?"

Yukiji found Sora standing in the gallery and watching as the team members entered. Yukiji had been dying to ask her the reason for the match that Sora had proposed. Of late, Sora had really been on edge when she was around the team. She knew that Sora could be very head-strong once an idea entered into her head which would explain her strong prejudice against Mai. But still, she did have a good instinct and there was no telling what would happen.

"I'm just... here," said Sora.

"The match will start soon."

"I'm aware of that."

"And we'll have to divide the teams."

"I know. Yukiji-san... just what am I trying to do?"

"Honestly... I have no idea," confessed Yukiji.

"Well, we'll see at any rate."

"Oi, if you're feeling conflicted, then isn't there a good chance you're doing it wrong?" said Yukiji.

"I know what I must do," said Sora firmly, "I just don't know why."

"Yeah..." said Yukiji backing away.

"Yukiji-san? I need a favour..."

"What is it?"

Sora paused. "I'm going to split the team for the match now... And, I need you to play with Akira and Mai."

"Sure," said Yukiji with a shrug. Sora looked at her with relief. "Thanks."

"Why did you need my permission and all?" said Yukiji.

"I need a neutral party on their side," explained Sora. "I want to give them some chance at winning."

"So you're confident we'll lose?" mused Yukiji.

"Don't take it that way..." began Sora alarmed. Yukiji rolled her eyes. "Idiot! I know how you think. I have no issues playing on the losing side if this entire gig will end."

"Sadly, the gig ends only when one of us is willing to admit they're wrong," said Sora.

"And that's not going to be you..."

"God knows..." said Sora spacing out.

"I won't go easy you know," said Yukiji.

"Hmm..." said Sora and Yukiji wasn't sure whether Sora had registered what she had said. When most of the team had assembled, Sora walked down from the gallery. "Shouldn't we start splitting now?" said Mayu.

"Mayu-san, Aoba-san, you're with me," said Sora abruptly.

"Well, that was quick..." said Mayu raising her eyebrows. Usually, the team took a good ten minutes to pick even if it was a small lineup because everyone had a say on their team mates. But it looked like there was no chance for that today.

"Does she want us to play the losing side or what?" said Akira.

"Well if you've already decided, then why don't we pack our bags?" suggested Yukiji.

"Oh shut up! Besides, what the hell did you do to end up with us?"

"You tell me..." said Yukiji although she knew the reason.

"Let's go then."

"Nae, what will the end point be?" said Mayu.

"You guys pick," said Sora with a shrug. Yukiji could see that she was trying, and failing, to maintain all pretense of nonchalance. "Thirty," said Yukiji and the rest complied. Yukiji spotted Sora staring at her own hands and groaned. That wasn't much of a good sign. She was going all out.