Halloween and Starry Nights

Start from the beginning

"Oh no! A B! Throw water on it, maybe it will melt away!" Isaac sarcastically remarks. I shoot him another glare, which makes him laugh even more. "Look, here is what you do." He reaches across the table and shuts the computer screen.

"I have to get it done, though." I argue, lifting it back up to reveal my blank document.

"No one is forcing you to this very moment." He closes it again.

I roll my eyes, placing my hand back on top of the computer to open it. His hand lands back on mine, stopping me.

Tingles run through my arm.

I look up from my hand, feeling my cheeks get warm, his eyes locked on mine.

"Grace," His voice softly murmurs, fingers intertwining with mine. My heart rate speeds up as he leans in.

Closer.

Closer.

Closer.

And then I panic.

I jerk my body to the side, pulling my hand away from his, arm flinging left and knocking over my cup, coffee spilling all over the table.

"Shit." I mutter, reaching for some napkins. I pull probably fifty out, spreading them across the table, watching them turn limp with dark brown liquid. I mumble profanities under my breath as I press more onto the tabletop.

I look up at Isaac who has another one of those stupid smirks on his face. He glances down at his shirt and back up, making me look at it.

Making me look at the giant brown stain on the front of it.

"This is bad."

Isaac rests his arms on the table. "I can't tell you how hard I am laughing inside right now."

"That is a very bad stain."

"Yes, it is."

"And I feel very bad."

"It's fine, Grace."

I look back up at him. "You forgot the 'Baker.' "

He smiles even more. "No, I only say Grace when you're in trouble."

"Shut up."

"You're being very rude judging you're the one who spilled coffee all over me." Would you stop smiling, Isaac? It's contagious.

Groaning loudly I rest my head against the wall. "I'm never gonna live this down."

"I won't let you," He winks. "I have this shirt as a souvenir now."

I take a wad of napkins and throw them at him. He shields his face, chuckling. "Oh, lighten up, Grace Baker. It's Halloween after all. Speaking of which, the party is in a few hours."

I sigh. "Yeah, I should probably head back home." Isaac nods in a silent agreement. I scoop up the dirty napkins, throwing them away with my cup. I tuck my computer into my backpack, walking with Isaac out the door of the café.