Chapter 26 | Smoothies, Starbucks, and Sleep

Start from the beginning

You really like her, don't you? 

Of course not, why would you say that?

Oh, I don't know, maybe because you just spent, like, five minutes describing her body. And now she's trying to get your attention but you're in lala land.

"Ashton? You okay there?" asked Ashley with an eyebrow raised.

She had gotten completely dressed, with only her hair still dripping wet; the blush had never quite left her face. I gave her a once-over. She was wearing a pair jeans with a brown braided belt and a flowery blouse. Two of her buttons had been left open to be just flirtatious enough without being too revealing.

She rolled her eyes at me. "This is - what - the third time you're checking me out? I mean, I know I'm attractive enough, but use some self-control, Ash, I mean gosh!" She smiled a cheeky smile at me.

I brushed it off even though it was totally true. "So...what do we do now?" I asked awkwardly. Chances were Michael was still probably out there, waiting to get me back.

"Well I was getting ready to go out and get a smoothie. You wanna join?" She smiled at me warmly.

"Yeah, but uh...Mike." I pointed at the door uncertainly.

She nodded silently and quitely walked to the door. Then all of a sudden, even making me jump, she banged her fist on the door, right where she thought Michael would be eavesdropping from.

I heard a loud bang and an "Ow!" come from Michael. "What was that for?" he yelled through the door.

"Maybe because you were eavesdropping, genius!" she yelled back.

"I was not!" he boomed indignantly.

"Really?" she said matter-of-factly. "Did you just happen to be sitting with your ear to the door knitting a sweater?"

"For you information, I was knitting a scarf!"

"Oh, wow, what a big difference! That really changes everything!" she said sarcastically. "Just get out of the way, will you?"

"Fine," grumbled Michael. We heard shuffling and then Ashley went and opened the door gingerly, making sure to stand behind it as she did, just in case Michael had a back-up plan.

She was proven right when a water balloon flew through the door and landed on her wooden floor with a splat.

"Mike, you imbecile! You almost hit my laptop!"

He swore under his breath. "I missed," he whispered.

"Yeah! You did! Now get - out!" She said through gritted teeth.

He put his hands up in surrender and went down the stairs. We heard a door slam and we knew that he had left.

Ashley sighed frustatedly, running a hand through her tangled hair, with much effort, which only made her more frustrated.

"So how about that smoothie?" I soothed.

She smiled half-heartedly. "Yeah, let's go."

We went downstairs and Ashley grabbed her keys. I walked to the door as she did so. As I opened the door to let her go first, in a weak attempt to be a gentleman, I felt my shirt become soaked as a water balloon hit me square in the chest.

"Oh my God!" Ashley jumped. "What is your problem, Mike?"

But Mike had fallen to the floor, overcome with hysterics. He could hardly breathe and his face had become completely red. I would have jumped down and practically strangled him, but something told me that Ashley wouldn't think so highly of me after that. Albeit, she probably didn't even think so highly of me now, I thought somberly.