Chapter Nine

My POV:

   I looked up into the eyes of...Daryl? "If ye' wanna go with Shane then just go. That way you'll be his problem, not mine." Daryl looked at the ground. His hair looked unkempt and you could see the dark circles under his eyes. Dirt thinly coated his skin making him look completely disheveled. His clothes were tattered(much like mine) but his crossbow looked well cared for.

   We stared at each other for a moment before I spoke up. "I want to go with you". I avoided his gaze while heaving a sigh of almost disappointment, "Do you really think that I'm a problem?" His silence said more than his words, he really did think that I was a problem. Well, today is my opportunity to prove that I am everything but a problem.

   "Ye' ain't a problem, just don't become one. I've had to deal with enough drama from these morons, even in the end of the world, all they do is find something to fight over. Surprised they haven't killed each other yet, don't mean they won't though." My mood lightened at his words, but then I suddenly realized how much I thought that these people were perfect. They were suppose to help me and themselves, but if they can't even help themselves, then there is no hope for me.

   Standing up I grabbed my bow and walk over to Daryl. "When are we leaving?" I questioned. "Who is telling Shane? He'll hate me forever if I tell him."

   "I would love to do the honor of breakin' his lil heart. He's got it coming now, with the way he's been chasin' after Lori, wven with Rick here. The things Shane did with Lori after tellin' her that Rick was dead... That ain't no trustworthy man. He's gonna explode one of these days, he'd do anything to protect himself. It's sickening how many people he's probably thrown under the bus since this all started."

   My heart dropped when he brought up Lori, he said that he wanted me, not anyone else. My face fell from the smirk it was in. "What did he do with Lori?" Shifting from foot to foot, I readjusted my bow.

   "Look, I'm ain't goin' there. If ye're so interested ask 'em. Why do ye' care, did he say something?" Daryl glared at my inquisitiveness. "Don't trust that man. He only does things fer himself."

   "Oh, I was just wondering, you know. So, um, I'll meet you at your truck in thirty?" I quickly muttered, trying to cover up my nervousness.  

   He only nodded, showing the fault that he saw in my words, but letting it go. He turned and walked the long walk into the woods. Standing there, I just thought about his words, and the way that Shane deceived me. I might as well talk to Shane before Daryl does, unless everyone wants another fight to break out.

   After nervously pacing to the campfire I caught the gaze of everyone, including a hopeful Shane. Rick diverted my eyes from Shane when he stood up, letting go of Lori's hand. "So have you decided yet, or-" Cutting him off I said, "Can I talk to Shane first? I mean just a second." "Sure?" He questioned. Lori looked like she was going to say something until she realized that Rick was there. She appeared reluctant, concerned.

   I shifted my eyes to Shane when he stole the attention of everyone. "'Course. Lets go for a walk." He smiled and adjusted his gun on his belt. Stepping over the legs of some of the people, he rubbed his head and began his way towards the tree that he told me to meet him at if I was going to says yes to him.

   We didn't stop until we were under the tree in the woods. Shade hid us from the Sun, leaves blew in the wind. "So, what did you want to talk about? Is this about our conversation last night?" Placing one of his hands on the tree and the other in mine. He pulled me until I was only a foot from him.

   "Shane, what do you have going on with Lori? The way you look at each other says enough, let alone what I've heard." All of my discreet behavior gone. I was looking for the answers that I deserved.

   His behavior suddenly went from pleased to defensive. "Who told you about that?" He pushed my back against the tree while getting into my face. "Did Daryl say that?"

   "It doesn't matter where I heard it! Is it TRUE?" Feeling slightly intimidated by Shane's anger. Remembering what Daryl said, I concluded that Shane was uncontrollable, and that he might hurt someone.

   "Me and Lori haven't had a thing for awhile. Rick was dead for all we knew. I'm gonna wring Daryl's little neck. You know how I feel about you, why does that past matter?" He tried to play off his upset behavior and turn to a more charismatic approach.

   "How do I know it's in the past?" I know now that I truly don't want Shane, but I do want Daryl. "You know, Shane, it doesn't matter. The answer is 'no', it's always been 'no', I've just been fooling myself. You don't care, so, why don't you just leaving and go mess with Lori's feelings?"

   That must have triggered a reaction in Shane that was nothing but violent. He roughly shoved my back into the tree, letting the bark dig into my skin and draw blood. He shoved me a few times, the pain began to grow worse and worse. Raising his fist, he paused, knowing that any injury to the face would be visible.

  "You tell anyone about this, I'll kill you myself!" he threatened, releasing my arm, which caused me to fall to the musty smelling ground.

   The foot steps began to fade but the pain began to grow worse. I laid there and sobbed for at least half an hour, not wanting to face everyone back at camp. I heard someone calling my name, but I sat there and silently debated whether or not to answer. I answered them after the third time my name was called, but my voice came out in a coarse whisper, but it must've caught their attention. "Megan, what in the heck happened to ye'?" He walked over and helped me lean against the tree.

   "I don't want to talk about it."

   "Ye' don't wanna talk 'bout it? I came looking for you when Shane came back and ye' didn't. Did he cause this?" His voice harsh and unforgiving. "I told you not to trust him, he's trouble." He put his hand behind my back to help me up. He retracted his hand quickly, looking at the blood. His face grew a panicked look. "Were ye' bit or scratched?" He felt my face. "Ye' ain't warm."

  "No, I don't want to talk about what happened. I already told you, don't worry." I stood up.

   "Shane did this, didn't he?!" He pulled up the back of my shirt and looked at the deep cut marks that were still oozing blood. "Lets get you back, and when we get there, nothing is going to stop me from killing Shane."