Capitulo Quince

Another Pic of Trinity (Erica Cerra) ------------------------------------>

Liz, Crystal and I had only been hanging out for half an hour when I got the call that I had hoped would never come. As Liz floored it toward our destination, I thanked God that we were already in town, because we'd probably get there before he did.

My stomach turned and flipped like the Olympics were being held in my abdomen, and I was feeling extremely lightheaded as I recalled my conversation with Sam only minutes ago.

 "I have good news and bad news."

 Might I just say that nothing good ever comes from an opening like that one? Sure, they warn you by announcing that there's bad news, but when someone says, "I have good news and bad news," what they really mean to say is, "I have marginally good news in relation to the really bad news that you have absolutely no say in finding out about."

 "Brad's mom just called me and they're in an ambulance on their way to the hospital. She found him passed out on the kitchen floor and couldn't get him to wake up. I'm already on my way into town. Meet you there?"

I'd responded with a shell shocked, "Sure," and then pressed end on my cell.

"Brad's in an ambulance on his way to the hospital," I'd announced, my voice completely void of all emotion. 

Thankfully Liz and Crystal had been more lively in their responses and had dragged me out to their van faster than I could say, "Ambesol."

I was pulled from my thoughts when Crystal asked, "I wonder what happened to Brad..." to everyone and no one in particular.

Liz shot me a quick glance that was a mixture of worry and something else I couldn't quite place. "I'm sure he's fine. Pitt's a crazy one. I'm sure he just dropped from exhaustion. He looked exhausted earlier today."

But the pit of my stomach knew that he might not be alright and that he'd probably overdosed on cocaine. What made it worse was that I had known about it and hadn't said a word to anyone. I could make excuses until the cows came home like, "I only found out yesterday," or something to that effect, but in my heart of hearts I knew there was no excuse. No amount of explaining would undo the damage that was done. No amount of explaining could bring him back if he was dead.

I would have effectively murdered him by omission.

And that wasn't something I could handle.

As soon as Liz pulled into the parking lot of the hospital, I was already unbuckling my seatbelt. The van had barely stopped moving when I jumped out and hit the ground running. I had to beat them here; I just had to. But the second I set foot in the Emergency Department, my world begin to crumble around me.

Brian, my ex-best friend, ex-boyfriend, and younger brother to the man who killed my family, was here. In the Emergency Department. Wearing Scrubs. Speed walking about the halls like he knew the place like the back of his hand.

That's when the tunnel vision and the flashbacks of a day I'd hoped would remain buried began.

Seven years ago

"You look so beautiful you know that?" He told me as he looked into my eyes.

My smile was instant as my cheeks stained red from embarrassment. "Thanks," I replied bashfully.

"No, I'm serious, babe. You're the prettiest one here and I bet every guy is jealous that you came with me and not with them."

"Oh, gimme a break you two!" Ashley groaned, "We get that you love each other and whatever, but Trinity already knows she's pretty! Can we get to the after party already?"