Chapter Two

Ashlyn thought it was comical that half her closet consisted of dresses she rarely wore unless her mother hosted a charity event. This particular one was a spectacle of self-congratulatory wealth patting themselves on the back all night long. It did support an important cause, but she didn't see why they couldn't donate money instead of hosting dinners.

Making a face at herself in the mirror, she applied her earrings. She chose a floaty, sheer white dress with silver lining. It swirled around her ankles comfortably and the bodice was decorated with intricately crusted jewels.They created the illusion of a sweetheart neckline and the long, gauzy sleeves fit like second skin. It was finished with a thin, metallic belt that clasped in the back.

For her hair, she chose understated waves and they fell in a blonde curtain down her back. The earrings remained simple and so did her make-up. The dress took center stage as she knew her mother would want. After all, it was Ann's event and she wanted everyone talking about her and her daughter in a positive light.

Grabbing her clutch and wrap, she left one lamp on by the door and locked it behind her. As expected, the limo waited at the bottom of the stairs. When she slipped in next to her mother, she was enveloped in a swirl of perfume and heard the pop of a champagne bottle. Not to be outdone, her mother wore a startling red dress that showed her well-toned body for a woman nearing 60.

"Oh, that's the perfect dress, Ashlyn! Well done."

She murmured her thanks and accepted a glass from her mother's outstretched hand. If she needed to spend the night entertaining, a few glasses of champagne wouldn't hurt.

Face glowing with the anticipated triumph of her event, her mother sipped her own drink. "I think you are going to be pleasantly surprised this year, dear. Canlis does not cater, as you know, generally. But I managed to talk them into it. The food there is exceptional. We have a live band, of course. There should be plenty of men for you to choose from to marry."

"Mother!"

"What? I'm being serious. We only have two months."

"I only have two months, mother. I will choose who I marry."

Mouth pinching at the corners, Ann lifted her chin. "I'm only trying to help you, dear."

Ashlyn rubbed the back of her neck, feeling the on-rush of a headache. "I know, mother. I do appreciate it. But if I have to spend a year of my life with someone, I need to be able to at least like them. Now, can we not talk about this tonight?"

"Yes, yes, of course, dear."

The ride was peppered with her mother's comparisons of Canlis' menu, the latest gossip and who was dating who. When they arrived at the ballroom, she allowed the valet to help her from the car and waited for her mother to join her. Cameras flashed, press called out questions. The glitz and beauty surrounded her, as false as the people wearing it.

When they entered, her mother immediately separated from her and joined her friends. Wishing again that Josh had agreed to be her escort, she settled for another glass of champagne and slowly wandered the room, making casual talk with anyone who stopped her.

One group stood out to her for the large crowd surrounding a single man. When she caught a glimpse of him, a strange tingling started at the back of her neck and went lower. He was undeniably handsome. With carefully combed jet black hair and crystal blue eyes, he commanded both the men and the woman in front of him. His tuxedo fit perfectly, obviously tailored to his strong shoulders and slim waist.

Something about him was familiar, but she couldn't place his name. He wasn't a regular at her mother's events.

Another sip on her champagne, and she was startled when his eyes met hers. They held and the heat in his gaze pinned her to the floor. Warmth spread in her cheeks and she hoped he didn't notice her admiring him. The last thing she wanted was to invite someone so intense over to talk with her. Especially not if he got the wrong idea.