Nate

"Okay man! It's a joke!" I laugh as Jackson chases me around the track.

"Not cool man!" He yells. But I know him, I know he's not really mad, this is all just for some fun. Well except for the crush. That was real, he had it bad for her, even I could see that, and I'm horrible at this whole love thing. 

As we come to a stop in from of Mrs. W I collapse. Jackson is a fast runner, and five laps staying just out of his reach is no easy feat. I am tried. 

Molly, my sister, must've noticed because in seconds she was standing over me, blocking out the sun and drizzling water into my mouth.

"What did you do this time?" She laughed, sitting down in the dirt beside me. We were the same age, and not actually related. Our parents married when we were younger, but we were as close as two siblings could be. She laughed at my pranks (after beating me up if they were on her),  looked out for me and knew how to twist people minds to get me out of trouble. 

I was glad she was here, because as soon as Jackson caught his breath I was going to be pumbled. 

See, saying something like that to any other teacher wasn't a huge deal. They'd scold you, or maybe even laugh. But Mrs. W, oh no! She'll tease you, and tell the whole school. 

And if our basket ball coach finds out, Jackson will never hear the end of it. Plus, Coach will use poor little Ella as 'inspiration' to make Jackson work harder in practice and in games. And by 'inspiration' I mean embarrassment. It's truly hilarious, watching him do this. The best part,  Coach hasn't found any dirt on me, so he's never done anything.

"I told Mrs. W about Jackson's puppy love for Ella, the friendly nerd with wheels." I explained, sitting up as my panting slowed down.

"Enough with nick-name man." Panted Jackson behind me. "Now it's evolving." He said, scowling and holding his side.

"Aww. That's adorable, you sticking up for her. Don't worry, I won't tell anyone but her." Said Molly sweetly before jumping up and taking off across campus.

"MOLLY!" Screamed Jackson.

"I've taught her well." 

"Shut up Nate." Jackson laughed, falling backwards into the dirt again. We both know she wouldn't actually tell.

"So, what did you do?" I ask Jackson as we stare at the sky.

"Her wheel was stuck on something on the floor, so I freed her,  then walked her to Math. " he says. He sounds tired.

"You just silently and randomly walked this chick to class? Didn't say anything? That's it?"

"No, I talked to her, I'm not completely brain-dead. That's you."

"What did you say?"

" I- I don't know! She was easy to talk to once I'd started, but I don't remember what I'd said to her. She said she could she could get to class by herself, but I said it was no biggie. She pointed out that I'd be late"

"Which you were." I felt the need to add in

"Which I don't care about. I told her that I didn't really care, as I didn't like track and field.  Then we where at her class, I made a joke and ran off."

"What joke?"

"She had math. I told her to have fun with her numbers."

I started laughing, resting my palm on my forehead. "You know, you're truly pathetic sometimes." My boy needed help getting the girl. I was going to help him.