The Talk

Salim's POV

After giving a send off for all my friends, I entered the waiting area of my flight to Trichy. I called my Akka(Elder Sister) to confirm whether everybody has reached Trichy. I needed all their support. So, Akka, Mustafa my Brother in law and Umar are also coming to Trichy.

My parents were waiting for me in the airport. Both of them were happy that I had planned to visit home. I was engulfed in a group hug as soon as I reached home. I was a little tensed throughout my dinner. After dinner, I didn't want to waste time. I made Vappa(Father) and Amma sit in the sofa. My grandparents were also there with us. My Chicha's(Father's younger brother) family who live next door to us had gone to sleep.

I said, "Vappa, Amma I need to discuss something quite important with you."

Vappa asked me, "I assume it is about your marriage."

I was stunned by his guess.

Amma said, "I assume the woman you want to marry is Kayal."

I was dumbstruck. How can parents do this? I seriously have no idea. Looking at my expression both of them laughed.

Vappa patted the place next to him and I sat there. "Ali, we will know what's in your heart, even if we are miles apart."

Amma asked me, "When did Kayal give her Shahada?"(Shahada is an Islamic creed declaring belief in the oneness of God and the acceptance of Muhammad as God's prophet).

I was shocked, "Shahada?"

Vappa said, "I know you will inspire her to Islam. You are capable of showing her the right path to reach our Creator."

"Vappa no. Kayal hasn't reverted to Islam. I also know that she will not revert in another million years."

Both of them were shocked now. Before, I could speak, Amma said, "I will talk to her mother. She will revert to Islam if we can actually guide her about our religion and the teachings of our Prophet(PBUH)."

"Amma, first thing, Kayal is clueless about my feelings for her. Second, she knows almost everything there is to know about in Islam. She will never revert. And, I don't want to ask her to revert."

Amma asked, "Ali, what do you mean by she knows almost about everything in Islam?"

"Amma, Kayal is a Hafiza(Hafiza refers to a woman who has completely memorized the Holy Quran).

"What????" sound came from many mouths. And, everybody in the room was clearly surprised.

"She can also recite Bhagavad Gita and she has read The Bible as well. As with the Holy Quran, her recitation is awesome." I then went on to explain how she recited Sura Ar - Rahman.

Vappa asked me, "Why is she anti religious after being a Hafiza?"

"Vappa, she felt that she can't be against a religion, if she doesn't know about it. So, she learnt about Hinduism, Christianity and Islam. She is anti religious after knowing about all these religions."

Amma asked me in an angry tone, "What fault has she found in Islam, that she doesn't want to accept it as her religion?"

"I asked her the same question Ma. And she told me that, just like how she is against propagating religion, she is also against propagating her anti religious beliefs. She told me that even though she has enough trust in my Imaan(Faith), she doesn't want to pollute my pious mind with her anti religious views. She said she would feel guilty about it."