Chapter 2: Perfect Sometimes

"What do you mean you didn't get number 7?"

"I didn't understand it, so I skipped it." I reply shrugging my shoulders.

"But you're the smart one, I needed to copy you."

"Well sorry to disappoint." I say fake dramatically.

She laughs at me. "It's fine, I'll just do it all by myself."

Now I laugh at her. "Don't act all perfect."

"Oh, I'm not acting. I am perfect, well sometimes."

"Sure you are." I say sarcastically while rolling my eyes.

"Oh whatever." She says as we go back to studying.

I went over to Maddison's house today. We've been back in school for two weeks now, and I feel like people aren't judging me just because they don't care enough to do so.

"I got it!" She yells out.

"God you scarred me! What did you get, number 7?"

"No, even better! I know what we're gonna do this Friday."

"What?" I ask.

"We are going to a party, and you can't say no cause I'm your best friend and you love me."

"Um, no."

"Pleeease?" She begs while giving me puppy dog eyes.

I groan. "Fine we can go to the stupid party."

"Yay! Thank you thank you thank you!" She says as if she wouldn't have gone without me and needed my permission.

"You can come spend the night at my house after. It'll be so fun!" She chirps.

•••

"Blue or black?" She asks holding up two dresses to her body.

"Blue, it goes better with your eyes."

"Okay, now I get to pick what you're wearing."

"Wait no-

"Too late." She says flashing me a big smile.

She flips through her closet and pulls out a pair of light colored jean shorts and a black crop top that had flowers on it.

"You know I don't wear crop tops." I say pointing my finger at her.

"Come on Cass! You're hot, show a little skin! It won't kill you I promise." She says grabbing my arm. "Now go put this on."

I sigh as I grab the clothes from her. After I changed into it I put my converse on and I've gotta say I look pretty okay. Normally I don't look good, like at all. But today, I feel great!

I walk out of the bathroom and see Maddison in her blue dress.

"Oh my gosh you look so beautiful!" We both said at the same time.

"No, you do!" We say once again in unison.

"Okay stop that, it's getting weird!" I say as we just start laughing.

We go outside to Maddison's car and drive to the party. The whole car ride she talked about how excited she was. She wanted to see this guy she's had a crush on forever, and she wanted to talk to him tonight I guess.

After we walk in Maddison goes and talks to Jake, the guy she likes and leaves me alone. So I sit on the couch and drink from a water bottle I brought. I don't trust drinks at parties, I always feel like they'll have alcohol in them, and I don't drink.

After sitting on the couch for about 45 minutes of playing on my phone some guy walked up to me.

"Hi, I'm Spencer."

"Hi Spencer." I say not even looking up from my phone.

"So what's your name?" He asks.

"Cassidy. But my friends call me Cass."

"Well hi Cass." He says holding his hand out for me to shake.

I look up at him and say, "I said my friends call me Cass."

"Ouch, that's cold, Cass." He says grabbing his heart like I hurt him, even though he was smiling.

I ignore him and turn back to my phone.

"So what's a pretty girl like you sitting alone, at a party like this, drinking from a water bottle that has a whale on it?"

"What's wrong with whales?" I ask putting my phone down.

"Nothing, it's just the way it's pictured is a little childish. I didn't realize you were 7."

"I'm 17 actually, and leaving." I say grabbing my bag and walk away.

"Aw come on Cass, come back!" He gets up and follows me to some bedroom. "I was just messing with you. I think whales are pretty cool too."

I turn away so he can't see me blushing.

"You're just saying that."

"No really, here look." He says pulling something out of his pocket.

He holds up his phone that had a whale sticker on the back of his case.

I burst out laughing. "Oh- so you're a total dork!" I say bursting out in laughter.

He puts it back in his pocket. "No, I prefer the term whale enthusiast."

I continue to laugh at him as his face turns red.

He tries to change the subject by saying, "so, besides whales, what else do you like?"

"Um, I like art. How about you?"

"I also like art. Would you maybe wanna get out of here and go see some of my art?"

"I'm not going to your house. I don't even know you!" I say.

"Relax, Cass! It's not at my house. Trust me?"

"Why would I trust you, I don't even know you!"

"Because you could go with me, and have fun or go back to playing on your phone that's probably about to die."

I pull my phone out of my pocket and see that it's at 32%. Dammit, he's right.

I sigh. "Fine. Let me just call my friend first so she knows where I am."

He nods back at me.

After the third ring she picks up.

"What's up Cass? Where'd you go?"

"I'm gonna go with this guy, he'll drop me off at your house later okay? I'll call you if I need anything."

"Okay, have fun." She says. "Oh! And things are really going well with Jake, I think he likes me too!" She whispered the last part.

I could tell that she really liked him and I knew she was blushing right now.

"Okay, well you two have fun. I'll see you later. Love you."

"Love you too!" She says back.

Spencer comes closer with his jacket on his arm. "Let's go!" He says.