Caged

This is a part 2 of Bullets. It's going to be in Lucas POV of course because Maya's dead :(

***

Lucas POV

"That was a good one."

Her eyes lost their sparkle. Her rosy cheeks lost their color. Her hands became limp and became cold.

I had lost her. Forever. She was my world. She was my rock. And now she's gone. I'll never hear her laugh again. Her sweet laugh. Never see her smile. Never hear those nicknames that started our relationship. Never hear her say 'I love you' or 'I do.'

Tears left my eyes and my hands went up to her face. Why did this have to happen to me? First Riley, and then Maya. When Riley died, it didn't hit me as hard as I thought. I didn't love her like Maya. And the pain is even worse than I expected. The pain is unbearable and excruciating. After Riley's death, Maya and I became closer. Talking about our feelings on things, helping each other get passed a barrier where our real feelings are.

We became fond of each other in a whole different way. I leaned on her if there was anything wrong. Who am I going to lean on now?

"Lucas." Someone said behind me.

I turned around to see Joe, the police chief. He loved Maya like Shawn did. Like a daughter. When Maya first joined the academy, he was there to scout people out, determine whether you made the cut. He said Maya was by far, the best officer anyone could have. And that he loved her ambition, spunk, and dedication.

"She was one of the best. I'm sorry." He said, eyes glistening.

My tear stained face expressed a smile. Probably the most fake smile I've ever done, and I'll ever do. She was the best. Best in my heart.

***

Today's her funeral. It's been one week and I've been a wreck. I haven't left the house in forever, barely eaten, and haven't returned any calls from friends or relatives. Maya made things so easy. And now I'm by myself.

"And now, her close friend Lucas Friar had a few words to say about Maya." Mr. Matthews said on the podium as he finished his speech.

I walked up, my eyes drawn to Shawn and Maya's mother, Josh, Farkle, Zay, Auggie, Topenga, and everyone else. All their faces had tears streaming down and my brain went nuts. Seeing everyone like this made me want to run and jump off a cliff. I could be with her again. But I made it to the mic, my breath jagged.

"More than a few words." I started slow. "I was a close friend of Maya's. Really close. I loved her with a passion that, I can't explain. Her smile, laugh, and all the basic components of her run through my mind everyday. That's been going on since 7th grade."

Images of her flashed throughout my mind. My eyes began to water and my hands were sweaty.

"She's a person who you'd never forget. Even if you just ran into her in the subway, she would be on your mind for a long time. Her feisty, tough attitude made me think about how strong she was in different ways. Her passion and sincerity towards her best friends made me think that her heart was full of compassion. Her tense, make fun of whoever attitude made me determined to break down any walls she had to guard her true self. Because her true self, was brighter than the sun, more beautiful than any creature ever created."

I left the podium after that. My expression was blank after the funeral. I hugged everyone and made sure they left before walking to the newly placed grave.

Maya Penelope Hart
2001–2026

"I miss you. A lot." I said staring at the grave. Just when I thought I was done with tears, more fled from my eyes and dripped off my cheeks. "It's hard being without you. Everything's hard. You,..... You were the person I trusted the most, to come home to everyday and,.... Just say how completely in love I am with you." I stuttered.