Chapter Seventeen

"It's been too long Robin," purred Isabella. "Disappointing, I have to arrange something like this to have the pleasure of your company."

"Let Meg go," he said. "You have me, you've no further use for her."

"That's where you're wrong. I've plans for both you and...."

Meg jumped.

A blade slashed through the drape behind Isabella, and hands thrust through the opening, looping a rope around her neck. In the moment of shock that immobilised Isabella, loosening her grip, Meg wrenched free and twisted back from the flailing blade. Isabella dropped it, both hands clawing at her neck. Her breaths coming shallow and fast, Meg kicked the dagger away. It slid under the opposite seat. Robin grabbed Isabella's wrists and bound them.

"I've got her," he said, through the curtain.

The rope loosened and slid off her neck. Robin bent and retrieved the dagger.

"Put that away," shuddered Meg.

Robin handed it to her and crouched down before Isabella.

"Excuse me." He glanced up from beneath his fringe as he lifted the hem of her skirt and undid the straps holding the sheath in place.

"Oh no you don't," he grinned, grabbing her ankle, anticipating the kick.

He sheathed the dagger, then opened the door just enough to hand it out to someone. Closing it, he freed Meg and then sat back, opposite Isabella.

"Now. That chat you wanted to have? How about we start by you telling me what's going on in the castle. All that activity, was it just your schemes for Meg or is there something else happening?"

"Is this really necessary, now that I'm unarmed?" Isabella held up her bound wrists. "Free me and I might be more inclined to talk."

Robin complied.

"Well?" he said, raising his eyebrows. "Talk."

"You never used to be this abrupt."

"That was before you decided to fleece the poor and King Richard alike, the same as your predecessor."

'What harm have I done, really? Raised a few taxes here and there..."

"...you abuse your position, just like the rest of them," accused Meg. "Executing without trial, squeezing the villagers for taxes and bullying them if they can't pay..."

"Quite the little bleeding heart, aren't we?" sneered Isabella. "Does she need to be here?"

"No reason not, this is hardly a tryst." Robin looked amused.

Isabella gave Robin an intense look.

"It could be."

Meg snorted.

"I don't believe you!" exclaimed Robin.

"No – listen." Isabella reached out and grabbed his hand. "You're right, things are happening in Nottingham. I've fallen foul of Prince John because I botched the ransom theft. He's sent two constables to replace me, Wenneval and some Murdoch, Murdac or something. That's why I left. I'm afraid Robin. I planned to use Meg to capture you and Guy as a way to win back favour, but it's pointless really, I do see that – the prince was never going to leave a castle like that for long in the hands of a woman."

"So what will you do?"

"Let me join you." Isabella leaned forward, stroking her thumb up and down the back of his hand. "You saw what it could be like, once, you and me. Only this time, no pressure. I'll just be one of the gang, if that's what you want. Or - when you get tired of that little shrew..."