Chapter Two

The birds woke Meg. Idly she wondered what it was that required them to make so much noise. She lay quietly, listening to the soft snores around her, and the sounds of the camp stirring.

She was weary, the wound gnawing at her side. Her thoughts drifted to yesterday, but skittered away from the horror of their near-execution. They'd escaped; they were alive, though Meg wondered for how long. She knew the dangers of infection. Even now, pain made her lightheaded. She floated in and out of consciousness, a half-way state that was both comfort and curse. She struggled to patch her thoughts together. There was something important she had to do.

When she next woke, the woman with the rounded nose was there with a bowl of soup. Ragged strands of thick blonde hair framed her face.

"Here," she instructed, "drink this – Tuck says you must keep your strength up."

He had told her that, in the dungeon.

"Where's Guy?" she asked.

The woman hesitated.

"You lied!" Meg accused, remembering her suspicions. "He isn't here."

"No, he isn't, and he won't be coming anywhere near us," the woman snapped, spilling soup in her agitation.

"Kate!" the monk admonished, appearing beside her. He took hold of  the bowl.

"Here," he said gently to Meg. "Let me help you."

Meg turned her face away, tears squeezing out.

"I want Guy," she murmured. "I won't eat until you find him. He'll be worried about me."

"We left a mark for him to find. He will know you're safe, with us."

"And who are you? Where am I?" Meg turned back to the monk.

"I'm Brother Tuck, this is Kate. We are with Robin Hood."

"He hates Guy," Meg moaned.

"Well you have him to thank that Gisborne's even alive." Kate leapt to Robin's defence. "I wish he wasn't."

Meg ignored her.

"Is this true?" she asked Tuck. She had no clear idea of what had happened before their escape.

"Robin shot the executioner," Tuck confirmed. "But let's forget all that for now and get you well. Then we can decide what happens next."

The monk took a rolled up cloak to prop behind her, but Meg struggled, feebly pushing him away.

"No, I won't eat. Not until I see Guy."

The monk stood back, gazing thoughtfully at her.

"Tell me your name."

"Meg."

"Meg, it isn't an easy thing you're asking. You understand, I'm sure, the struggles we've had against him as the Sheriff's right hand. The man has much innocent blood on his hands..."

"....he killed my brother, ran him through with a sword. He was only sixteen."

Kate's eyes were hard, bitter. Meg turned instead to look at Tuck.

"But he's not with the Sheriff now," she pleaded. "He's an outcast, like you. You're a monk, you must deal in forgiveness."

"I don't," said Kate. "I'll never forgive him. Let her starve, Tuck – Gisborne won't be coming here."

"Kate, this isn't helping...."

"What's going on? What's all the noise?"

A figure stepped up, shrugging into his shirt. A shock of brown hair fell across his forehead. Despite the beard there was something boyish in his face Meg thought, until you looked into his eyes.