Chapter Six

"Gisborne, no!"

Guy ignored Robin, fastening his jacket clasps.

"I'm finishing it this time." He picked up his sword belt, buckling it on; the weapon followed.

"Didn't you hear me, man?" said Little John. "He's surrounded by an army. You won't get near him."

"Got a better idea?" snarled Guy, facing Robin.

"Probably ten, if you'd all be quiet and let me think."

Guy checked himself, waiting; Robin paced away. He lifted an arm, holding one of the poles; smacking it, he turned round to face them.

"John – were they the Prince's men?"asked Robin.

"No. I didn't see his colours."

"Prince John appointed Isabella," added Guy. "It would make no sense for him to send an army against her."

Robin leaned back, arms crossed.

"We need to find out what he's up to, where he's been. I say we go have a look. How far from Nottingham were they John?"

"They'll be there within the hour, I'd say."

"Then so will we; Kate, your turn to stay with Meg."

"I don't need....."

"Yes you do, young lady," put in Tuck.

"Let me come with you Robin..."

"We're just going for a look. Kate – we'll be fine. The rest of you, let's go."​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​

                                                                    -----------------------------------------------------

Meg stayed in bed as long as she could. Despite the boredom, it was better than tolerating the other woman's needling. It was only when Kate left, mumbling over her shoulder that she'd be back soon, that Meg got up to tend the fire. But even bending down to pick up the wood hurt; she wanted to mend quickly, so she gave up and sat poking the edges with a stick, gazing moodily at the flames.

A clatter behind made her jump; she hadn't heard Kate return.

"Is that all you can do? Here, scrub some carrots, and peel those." She tossed down a handful of withered parsnips.

Meg held her tongue, and did as she was told. Kate rattled around behind her for a while, finally coming to crouch opposite, tucking her skirt away from the fire.

"I don't understand you," she said at last. Meg could feel her scrutiny, but she kept her eyes fixed on the vegetables. "He's evil. I don't know how you can feel anything for him."

"Well I do," she said simply, looking up. "But I'm sorry about your brother. Truly I am."

"So everyone keeps saying," Kate replied bitterly. "Everyone except him; he doesn't care."

"How can you judge him?" Meg flared. "You can't know what he might regret."

"If he had a shred of decency..."

"I'm not listening to you." Meg threw the half-done vegetables into the pot and rose.

"Well you should. It's pathetic, the way you hang off him."

"And you don't do that with Robin?"

Kate's cheeks flushed.

"At least he doesn't pity me. He's with me because he wants to be. Gisborne's got no choice, he's stuck with you. Neither of you have anywhere else to go. Maybe you deserve each other."