Chapter 29

"Damn..." I muttered. The maze walls towered over me, blocking my view as I tried to make my way through the maze again. It didn't help that it was very dark out and that I had neglected to bring a flashlight. I didn't know what I was looking for exactly, something that looked familiar to me. However, as I dug my way deeper into the walls of bushes, I found myself lost. I came to three paths. One was overgrown, one had thorns, and the last had vines hanging down. The vine path was almost as blocked off as the overgrown path, so I decided my best bet was the thorns and started to make my way though.

It was a mistake. I winced as my arms got scratched, thorns tugging and ripping my clothing as I tried to push through the ferns. I was about ten feet in when I had to turn back, a dead-end as my only view. I decided to try the vines next; vines were easier to tear than overgrowth.

I ducked under, stepped over, and moved any and all vines out of my way until I came to a circle of open ground. The tree from before stood tall in the center of the area, its dead branches reaching out in all directions like a grim reaper with his long fingers and scythe. I looked around to see if there was anywhere else to go, but all the other paths were blocked off. I sighed in frustration as I went to check out the other paths. Everything was blocked. However, as I went to walk back the way I'd come, I stopped. I squinted as I tried to peer through the bushes of a path that was almost anything but a path at that point. I could see something through the leaves. I wasn't sure what it was, but I could see it.

I tried to push through, but the bushes were too dense. Frowning, I decided to try finding another way around. As I looked about me, my eyes landed on the tree a few feet away. Well, none of my other ideas were any better. I hurried over and started to climb it, pulling myself through its branches in almost a frantic manner for fear I would fall if I slowed down.

A few branches broke when I pulled on them, but I still managed to make it to the top. I looked over the top of the maze bush and saw the branches of another tree on the other side. I gauged the distance and made a split-second decision, knowing that if I hesitated, I wouldn't make it.

I stepped back on the most solid branch I could find before I jumped, propelling my body through the air, praying I didn't miss. The world moved slowly for the first few seconds, but as my arms came in contact with the trees branches the reality of the situation came flooding back and I realized how utterly stupid I was being. I gasped as I missed grabbing onto the branch I had been aiming for, and went crashing through the branches to the ground, landing on my back with a thunk! 

For a moment, I lay still. Then I sat up slowly, groaning as I rubbed my sore back and neck. "Ouch..." I muttered.

As I came back to my senses, I looked around. I was in a small square area, no paths leading in or out of it that weren't completely covered by dead plants and bushes. I turned to look up at the tree. All its leaves had fallen dead around its base, a reflection of the entire maze. I stood up and brushed myself off, frowning at the scrapes and forming bruises I had added to the scratches on my arms and legs.

Once I was on my feet, I sighed. As far as I could tell, the only thing I saw was the tree. Besides that, the area was barren. I had hoped to see something familiar, but there was nothing. I turned back to the tree. As I circled it, I frowned. There was something hanging in its branches. I reached up and took down a small golden pocket watch. It looked like the one Rab always carried around. I opened it and saw that the little hands had stopped moving; it must have been broken. 

I glanced at my own watch. It read 7:36pm. The pocket watch read 4:57pm. I glanced at the tree and then back down at the watch. Carefully, I started putting the clock back to the proper time. Just as it reached 7:36 the clock face smashed. I gasped in surprised and dropped the watch out of reflex, taking several steps back. After I calmed my beating heart, however, I bent down to pick it up. 

The glass that had once covered the hands of the clock had cracks running all through it like veins. I was examining it when I heard a whistling sound I didn't notice before. Curiously, I leaned to the side and looked around the tree again. My hands almost dropped the watch again when I saw a door in the tree, one that hadn't been there before. I walked around the tree and stared at the door in wonder. The whistling had been air blowing softly through the empty keyhole. 

I reached out to open it when my heart sunk. It was locked. I looked down at the watch in my hand and my shoulders slumped. I was starting to feel like maybe I just wasn't meant to go back. I tapped the broken face gently, disappointed, when suddenly, the hands on the clock began to spin on their own. I watched as they went faster and faster until they started going slower and slower. Finally, they stopped all together at 12 o'clock. The top of the pocket watch popped open and my eyes widened as I pulled out a small, golden key. My heart drummed loudly in my ears. I took the key, pushed it into the lock, and turned it. There was a click and I took a deep breath. This was it.

I put my hand on the door handle and pulled the door open slowly. A rush of air blew out like a sigh of content, the feel of it running through my hair giving me a fuzzy feeling. I glanced back at the area of maze and bit my lip. If I left... would I ever see my mom again? Even if I did go back, would I beat the queen?

All the time I had spent with Cheshire and the others flashed through my head. Cheshire risked his life for me, Rab took me in when I was upset, the Hatter welcomed me like a friend. They all did so much for me... I couldn't back out. I turned back to the door and nodded to myself. Then I stepped into the darkness. Glancing back, I saw the door, the only light in the blackness, closing behind me and locking my fate into place.

*******

Subscribe to my YouTube at: Melanie Eberheart

Donate to my Patreon at: patreon.com/MelanieEberheart

Or follow me on Tumblr at: nekosaysmeow333

-Nekoco