FOUR

• • •

• • •

The German's haven't left the walls since they arrived here. I looked upon Hotel Lutetia in awe and sadness. This would be the first time I've ever stepped foot in this lush palace only to have Germans defile it beforehand. Everyone was inside. You could hear the squeals of the woman and the rumble of the trumpets as Jazz was played all night.

The voices of the German men scratched at my ears. This wasn't a good idea. I spun on my black heels into someone's chest. I would have stumbled and hit the ground if not for his strong hands grabbing my hips.

"Miss. Gallagher," I looked up into his eyes and blinked- he was more handsome up close than I could have imagined, "Are you alright?" His voice was harsh to the English words he was speaking, but my eyes were trained on his.

"No, no, sorry," I said trying to pull from his grasp. He only tightened it and whispered in my ear.

"I do not wish to alarm you, but I need you to play along," His hot breath was against my neck, and I suppressed the sigh I wanted to give. He began to speak in German, low and seductively. My heart was pounding in my chest, and my body grew hot. His hand tugged at my coat pulling it over my shoulder. He laughed loudly and whistled at a few men who had walked by.

His face buried in my neck. I could feel his eyelashes against my collarbone as he blinked, watching the men walk away. Once they were out of earshot, he pulled me around the corner and down an alley. My hand was growing hot in his as he pulled me into the kitchen and up some back stairs. Once we reached the heart of the Hotel- he ducked my head and pulled me close. He responded to the men around him.

I could feel a tug at my coat, and I felt the back of my dress come up, but he shooed the hand away, "Now, now, gentlemen it won't be fair for me to see you all having fun with such beautiful women and I not have my fill," He said to his men.

"Share her!" One man quipped, and I shuddered.

"Yeah, let's us all get a taste of her sweet sugar," Another jeered.

I felt his hands tighten on my hip, pulling me closer to him.

"Is she alright? Did you drug her? Sly bastard,"

"Men! She is very intoxicated, let me have my fun before she realizes I'm a German man," The Captain said swinging us around and up a flight of stairs. He did not loosen his hold on me until we were in an elevator. I slapped him hard across the face.

"I am not some whore you parade around with Captain! I came here to speak to you, and after that rendezvous, I would like to leave now,"  I angrily spat at him. He stayed quiet until I was done speaking.

"If you would have walked in there alone they would have surely raped you. These men may have all the women they want, but present them with a fight, and they'll pounce," He told me in English, "I did not mean to scare you, you were safe,"