THREE

Her name was Elisabet Bassin. She and her husband were being watched closely after someone had snitched that they were Jewish. Her husband's grandmother was Jewish, but they never practiced the religion. Since it was apart of the past of his family, they were forced to wear the Star of David.

Elisabet won't say much more on what happened that day, I don't expect her too, but she's been here for a week, and she keeps quiet. I let her help me around the shop and stay with me in exchange that she teaches me, German. She speaks it fluently along with French, of course. She even knows English.

We were running low on flour, and the demands for anything sweet form the people of Paris and the Germans were putting strains on our groceries. I had to make runs almost three times a week, sometimes more. The food shortages were starting to take effect on Paris. The Germans had already seized 20% of our food production for themselves.

Soon, I would have to close the Bakery. I sighed sadly watching the people pass outside the window. The temperatures were beginning to drop, and I hoped my generator would last.

He hadn't visited in a week. I shouldn't want him to come and see me, but I couldn't help to stop breathing whenever the bell announced someone had entered the Bakery. It would never be him. Elisabet could see something was wrong- that something was bothering me. I have no connection to that man- nor do I want a relationship.

I frowned as I realized those words weren't true. There was something about him that made my blood boil, my flesh rise in goosebumps. It was probably the fact that he was the enemy, dangerous, wrong and all that I shouldn't want. He could even be playing with my head, doing it on purpose.

Maybe he thinks that I know something about a resistance somewhere- no, that doesn't make any sense. Stop overthinking. I needed to get out of my head. Without a word I reached for my grocery bag, my wallet and told Elisabet I was going shopping.

"Would you like for me to come along?" She asked drying her hands with a rag.

"No, but thank you. I'll be needing to clear my head," I told her as I slipped out the door into the August warmth. A few people greeted me, not many because word got out about the SS Captain coming to my Bakery. I bet it was that old woman who called me a whore that spread the nasty rumor.

I reached the market - it was practically bare. Not much was left or there, to begin with. A few apples, types of meat and bread were on display. I examined the apples and found two out of the whole lot that wasn't bruised or soft. As for the chicken, I wasn't even going to touch it.

I noticed a few German men standing by the bread cart. There were four of them all identical in uniform. The fourth man was standing where I couldn't see him. One who had spotted me whistled and clicked his tongue. I looked up at him as he said something in German to his friends who all laughed. I turned my attention back to the bread, there weren't many to choose from. Most had already molded, and I groaned in discontent.

"Miss. Gallagher," His voice was like velvet to my ears. I turned to look up at him but stepped back when I saw who was with him. It was the man who had kicked me in the ribs and struck me across the face. I clutched my practically empty grocery bag and tried to stay calm.

The Captain's face had changed the moment I had turned around. His brow was slightly furrowed as he took in my look. The bruise was healing well, but it was still something you could see no matter what. I could feel the older gentlemen's gaze slide over my body with his beady little eyes. My weight shifted uncomfortably as I tried to think of something to say.

"When will that little shop of yours be up and running?" The old one asked, and for some reason, I couldn't shake the feeling that he meant something else.

"Not until I get fresh bread and more flour, excuse me," I sputtered in English walking past the two men. The Captain smelt of smoke, grass, and cologne.

• • •

With the two apples I had gotten we cut them into slices, and Elisabet smothered hers with peanut butter while I ate them plain. No one had come into the store for three hours now; I stepped outside to flip the sign to close when I noticed a large paper bag on the steps.

Glancing around I saw no one that could have put it there. Curious I reached for the bag it was surprisingly heavy. As I entered the bakery, I flipped the sign to close, and my nose caught the smell of bread. I quickly went upstairs to find a surprised Elisabet.

"What is that? I didn't know you went shopping again," Elisabet questioned as I set the bag on the dining table.

"I didn't,"

She looked at me confused," If you didn't know then who did?"

"Maybe he left a note?" I wondered aloud as I pulled out three bags of flour and two loaves of bread.

"He? Do you know who could have left this?"

I shook my head, "No, I couldn't possibly. Whoever did, I owe them," I said placing the bread and the flour in their proper places. Elisabet offered to make vegetable stew for dinner since we had so much of that. While she was preparing dinner, I couldn't help but think about who sent the bag. I had a feeling that I knew who it was.

• • •

"Oh, that was amazing, Elisabet,"

"Thank you; it was my husband's favorite,"

A silence came over us as she stared at the table, lost in her thoughts.

"Elisabet, he was lucky to have you," She smiled at me, "Especially when you can cook like that!"

That made her laugh.

"You know he couldn't cook, burned water," She told me smiling at a memory.

"Sounds like we would have gotten along, I hate cooking, but I can bake all day,"

We sat at the table for three hours gushing over everyday life. Wearing a dress that hadn't dried yet, walking out of the house with no makeup, listening to stupid things people say. Not being able to reach the casserole dish from the top shelf.

"Andrew would always get that. I was too short, but he was perfect..." Her voice trailed off, and her shoulders sagged as she cried. I let her be and cleared off the table opting to read before I fell asleep. I couldn't get myself to concentrate. My mind kept going back to who could have sent the food. I heard Elisabet settle down upstairs.

Her sobs carried her to sleep. I waited for thirty minutes after she fell asleep to act. I grabbed my thin dark coat and wrapped it around my body before grabbing my Ausweis. I tucked it in my jacket and with one last glance at my bakery-my haven- I ducked out into the silent night.

I honestly wasn't thinking when I had decided to roam Paris at night, but now that I was out here I was scolding myself for even thinking it was a good idea. I quickly traveled down the street towards the Hotel.

• • •

Bold and in Italics- German

Italicized- French

Normal- English