Chapter 18 : True Colours

The guards drag us through the town, people already emerging from their houses full of curiosity as to what the racquet is all about. I lightly yank at the guard's arm as his grip is digging into my arm, however he tightens his grip causing a frustrated groan to escape my lips. With the town being small, we quickly reach the Master's house, the people of Lake Town following behind murmuring among themselves. The dwarves still fight against the guards despite clearly being captured and having nowhere to go.

A head peers through the slightly cracked open door of the large house, before disappearing back inside. The two large doors swing open revealing the Master.

"What is the meaning of this?" The Master exclaims emerging from his house still in his sleeping robs.

"We caught 'em stealing weapons, sire" One of the guards explains.

"Ah. Enemies of the state, then" The Master declares.

"This is a bunch of mercenaries if ever there was, sire," an ugly man standing at the Master's side says. I tilt my head slightly at how familiar his voice is, although I have most certainly never seen this man before. I realise then that I had heard his voice at the gate we entered Lake Town, it's such a unique voice, how could I not recognise it? Alfred, I think his name was. His voice fits his appearance.

"Hold your tongue. You do not know to whom you speak. This is no common criminal. This is Thorin, son of Thrain, son of Thror!" Dwalin yells. The crowd begins to mutter amongst themselves.

"We are the dwarves of Erebor," Thorin says stepping forward "We have come to reclaim our homeland" with that the crowd begins to buzz.

Everyone stands on their toes to have a look at Thorin "I remember this town and the great days of old. Fleets of boats lay at the harbour, filled with silks and fine gems. This was no forsaken town on a lake! This was the centre of all trade in the North" Thorin says with a strong tone, looking around at the crowd as he makes his statement "I would see those days return. I would relight the great forges of the dwarves and send wealth and riches flowing once more from the halls of Erebor!" The people cheer and clap in happiness.

I can't hold in the eye roll. These people are so naive. There's no guaranty that we'll even make it to the mountain, and then there's the matter of opening the door and let's not forget the sleeping dragon inside if there still in one. Yes, I am one of the idiots going on this unpredictable quest, but my point is, these people don't even know if we are who we say we are.

"Death!" I hear Bard's voice yell from within the crowd. Everyone turns in his direction as he emerges from in amongst the people "That is what you will bring upon us. Dragon-fire and ruin. If you awaken that beast, it will destroy us all."

"You can listen to this naysayer, but I promise you this. If we succeed, all will share in the wealth of the mountain. You will have enough gold to rebuild Esgaroths ten times over!" Thorin yells trying to win the crowd over. The people clap and cheer again.

"All of you! Listen to me!" Bard shouts.

Knowing that Bard is far from winning over the crowd over Thorin's promises, I attempt to grab Bard's arm as he pushes past me "There's no reasoning" I whisper to him knowing that Thorin will win this fight, but Bard gets away from my grasp and steps into the centre of the town square.

"You must listen! Have you forgotten what happened to Dale?" Bard shouts continuing. The people quiet down and nod their heads "Have you forgotten those who died in the firestorm?" Some people shout no to Bard "And for what purpose? The blind ambition of a mountain-king so driven by greed, he could not see beyond his own desire!"

He turns to face Thorin, the tension between the two flaring in their eyes as they stare angrily at each other. The two don't even realise the chaos they're creating as they stare each other down. The crowd becomes panicked, fighting, torn between the two options they've been given. Just as the crowd is about to erupt into complete havoc the Master steps forward.