Chapter One

Staring over the flat deserted lands, Laura couldn't help but heave a sigh. She still hated the fact that this was her life, this was what it had all come to. She had always had wild dreams growing up, ranging from getting a scholarship to a fancy university to being head-hunted to be a famous model.

Chuckling to herself she looked down at her old dress, threadbare and unraveling slightly. Tucking a stray strand of hair behind her ear she turned around heading back into the house. As she entered the kitchen she noticed new areas where the paint was pealing from the wall. A crack running from the ceiling all the way down the wall.

True the kitchen had seen better days but since the farm wasn't making as much these days her father had started letting things go around the house.

Her meager attempts at trying to keep everything clean and bearable but there was only so much she could do. She wandered through the house, looking for something to do, aimlessly moving from room to room.

Finally spotting her father in his recliner, an old newspaper opened over his large stomach as he snored softly, mumbling words she couldn't hear. He had gotten old so fast after her mother had passed away that to her it felt that it had happened over night. His thick brown was now thinning and grey. His shirt was stained with his breakfast, she realised that she spend most laundry days trying to get those stains out of his clothes. He had an un-kept and neglected look even though she tried her best to look after him.

She walked back to the kitchen, reflecting on her life as she waited for the kettle to boil. Her parents had had her when they were in their late 30s. Their marriage was just like in the fairy tales. People had come from all over to see the childhood sweethearts getting hitched, they had wanted to start a family, but the battle was long.

Laura was born on her mother's 38th birthday, the apple of their eyes and they did everything to hold onto her for as long as possible. Soon after Laura graduated top of her class from high school she had started looking for work to go to college.

She had driven 70 kilometres to work each day, saving as much as she could by being a waitress at a restaurant at the petrol garage. During the off season she would sit at one of the booths reading the one book after the other in between customers. Making pittance, it was only once the holiday season started that she was able to make enough to consider going to college.

Even though she dreamt of going off on her own grand adventure she knew deep down that this was where she was meant to be. Her father's soft snores filled the room and Laura found herself wandering outside. It was getting chilly and the cool breeze blowing made her shiver, but she was resolute and wandered towards the barn.

She didn't come this way often, but when she did she always found herself thinking about her childhood.

She pushed the large creaky barn door open and waited for her eyes to adjust to the dim light that surrounded her. She could barely make out the rope from which her tyre-swing had hung all those years ago.

Laura smiled to herself as she climbed the ladder that lead to her old hiding spot, a small loft area just big enough for a single mattress where she had spent countless summer evenings and even a few cold winter nights.

She was surprised to find the mattress was occupied.