A Little Something More

Okay! This one's gonna be pretty short, I'm warning you now. It's about you and Fred. You work at a comic book store, and he's a regular customer. Keep reading to see what happens today... ;)

The bell above the door rings and you look up from your book. It's that same guy that comes in every day with the long hair and the green beanie. You smile to yourself. You have to admit to yourself, you've always had a crush on him and can't help but wonder what his name is.

He sees you, smiles, and waves. You smile and wave back. He goes on his way and skims the racks, looking for his book. You continue to read yours; this is the eight time you've read it. The next comic came out a few weeks ago, but the stores copies get snatched up the day they get returned, so you don't get the chance to snatch on up to read it. And it's the last one in the series!

You shift your position on the counter. You don't like sitting behind it, you prefer sitting on it, crisscross applesauce style. You stick your legs out and streeeeetch. Ah, that's better. You oh-so-discreetly watch him from where you sit. 

Even when he's just sitting there, a faint smile tugs at his lips. You've seen him with his friends before, and you know he's a total and complete goofball, but you love it. It's absolutely adorable! You've never really been the kind of girl to be into guys; you've always been way more into comics and action figures (you have six brothers and no mother to thank for that). But this guys... He's you're kind of guy. For sure. 

You see him turn around and start towards the counter, and you immediately run your hands through your hair, adjust your hipster glasses, and quick throw in a breath mint. You clear your throat and try to look as casual as possible.

"Good afternoon," says the guy.

"Good afternoon to you," you reply. "Have you found everything okay?"

He nods. "Yep, thanks."

You take the comics and scan them for him. "Will that be all for today?"

He shifts on his feet, then says, "Um, actually, no."

You blink. "Oh. Um, how can I help you then?"

He nods to your book. "I've noticed the past few times I've been here you've been reading the same comic. I've been watching the books you read since I started coming here, and I know it doesn't take three weeks to read a comic like that..." He clears his throat. "I've also checked the store's logs, and I noticed the last ones been checked out for a while now. Every copy. Well, um, I own the series, and..." He pulls it out, the book you need. Your jaw drops. "And I figured you'd want to read it. I finished it, so... I want you to read it. It's really good."

He gingerly puts it in your hands. You run your fingers across the cover. "I can't take this-- this looks like it was just opened!"

He smiles. "Please, I want you to read it."

"I'm, I mean-- I just-- thank you," you gush.

He grabs his comics. "Have a nice day."

"You too," you say, staring intently at the cover. You can't wait to open it up and finish the story. But then it hits you: how will you give him back his book? You look up and start to say something, but he's already gone. You shrug helplessly and open the cover. You smile when you finish reading the note stuck on the inside:

Hey. My name's Fred. I hope you'll enjoy this as much as I did. My number's on the back cover, so you can call me when you finish it. Maybe we could meet up so you could return it, and then hang out afterward? :)

~Fred