Part Five

It was ten thirty the next morning when Louna finally woke up enough to drag herself out of bed to go to the bathroom then flop on the couch with a glass of coconut water, which she nursed for twenty minutes. Only then did she actually feel human enough to drink one cup of coffee, then decide she needed to get away from everything that day and go to her favorite riding place. She packed her things quickly and half an hour later she was outside, wheeling her motorcycle into the alley from beside her car. The almost-noon sun gleamed on the shiny black paint and she could practically feel the negative energy leaving her. She pulled on her helmet, mounted the motorcycle, and kicked it to life. She definitely needed this today.

People and buildings flashed by as she navigated out of the city, the air cold in her lungs as she rode into the wind. Trees started to overtake the people as she pressed on and soon the city had faded behind her and all she could see ahead was her destination, rising high on the horizon. She leaned into the curves of the road, testing the machine's balance and speed as the elevation climbed. All her thoughts and worries were cascading away from her as she rode up to the park's lookout, and her mind was clearer, thinking only about how she hadn't seen much traffic on the road in the park. She hoped the lookout would be as empty as the road suggested,

After forty minutes of riding, she wound around the final curve and into the lot of the small overlook, relieved to see only one other car there, and no one in the immediate vicinity. The motorcycle coasted to an easy stop on the other side of the lot and she sat quietly after turning the engine off, enjoying the peace of the area. She pulled off her helmet, hanging it on the handlebar and letting her gaze roam over the tops of the thick evergreen trees. She breathed deeply, closing her eyes and finding the solace she sought in the nature around her. The week had been long and now it was time to let go of all those pent up emotions. She exhaled, stretching her arms to the side and turning her face up to the sun. It filled her vision and the crisp air flowed deeply into her lungs. She let her thoughts filter away as the surroundings engulfed her. Time became meaningless as she sat still and listened to the birds and trees and wind. All the sounds and smells reached into her, pushing out the toxic words and thoughts she'd brought to the top of the mountain. She let everything drain away. She didn't need to hold onto any of it. It didn't mean anything. Sometimes things weren't meant to be, no matter how right they might've seemed. It was okay that David hadn't felt their connection, because he was a lesson she needed. She had to learn that she could be fine on her own. She didn't need a man to validate her life; least of all a man who didn't value what she brought to his life.

Her exhale was thick, pushing out the bad thoughts that wanted to stick in her mind. She needed to go forward with a clear conscience and focus on making the best of her life with the moments she was given. There wasn't room or time to dwell on what had happened in the past; she couldn't change it, but she could learn from it. Her breath in was smooth and strong; the scent of the trees clearing her thoughts and she focused on the sweet chirps of a nearby bird, having resumed the chatter in the silence of the afternoon.

Louna opened her eyes as she breathed out again, feeling lighter and happier. The mountain always brought her clarity. Her shoulders relaxed and the slight breeze tickled the flyaway hairs on the back of her neck. She smiled, finally ready to face the rest of the weekend. She could just catch the tail end of the farmer's market if she left soon, and then maybe she'd text Ani and take her up on a Sunday ride together after all. It had been weeks since they'd gone on a ride, just the two of them; maybe they could do a champagne brunch first? Before that she needed to call her sister and fess up to what had been bothering her on Thursday. Em had sensed that something was off with her twin, but her daughters had been a handful that night and she'd been preoccupied with them, instead of tuning into what Louna was projecting.