Chapter Thirty-Nine : Ever After

Start from the beginning

"Hey," he says in a soft tone entirely unusual for him.

In response, I simply look up and give him a questioning look through my glasses.

"I heard about what happened with your girl Anita, and I wanted to say sorry, bro. That shit's no fun."

First of all, why is he acting so unlike himself? Secondly, how did hear about this?!

"Thanks... But how did you hear about what happened?", I ask.

"Well I ain't a snitch, but Michelle posted a few pics the other day from the hospital so I hit up her vagina-eating self and asked her what was up and she told me."

I groan, "Wow."

Thanks, Michelle. Who all has she told? And who has JJ told, now? It's not that I necessarily wanted to keep this a secret, but I'm sure Anita would not want everyone all up in her business. These are things that people usually like to keep private, and frankly this is starting to invade her privacy.

"Hey man, don't shoot the messenger," JJ says with a shake of his head.

"I'm not, just do me a favor and don't go spreading this around. I'm sure Anita wouldn't appreciate it."

"'Course not, Anita was the homie to be honest. I just got a question though..."

I give him a knowing look and a sigh, "No, JJ, I don't know anyone who is 'trynna chop'. You ask Anita and I like every week."

He retreats back to his seat with a humorous smile, "It doesn't hurt to ask, playa."

After school, I have soccer practice. Try-outs were last week, which Anita attended to show me her ever-present support, love, and motivation. She was beyond excited and proud when we found out I got co-captain, showering me with her amazing kisses and making me do a celebratory dance with her.

I've been on Varsity since Freshman year, and I loved Soccer here at Chatsworth. My teammates have always been the only people I've ever truly gotten along with before this year, yet even though we feel like the best of friends on the field, I'm always ignored by them everywhere else. I quickly got used to it.

Once I finish my snack, I head to the locker rooms where I change into my maroon- and white-colored uniform. What's more, a couple of my teammates offer their condolences and inform me that they have heard about Anita as well. I shake my head with a sigh before trying to forget about it and just get to practice.

Again, I use practice as a distraction from everything else in life. James Collins is on Varsity this year, finally, and I can honestly say that I am happy to see him. Even after he told us that he was no longer hanging around with the other guys who used to bother me all the time, I never truly trusted him.

That is, until he help beat the crap out of them when things finally reached the tip of the iceberg. Since that day, he and I have been good friends, though we don't talk all too often. Soccer ends three hours later at half past five, and at this point I am exhausted and starving while excited.

I quickly rinse off in the locker rooms and change before hopping in my car and getting some food. I drive leisurely towards the hospital while eating two large burritos and downing my big Gatorade, satisfying my stomach.

After parking and sleepily leaning against the wall in the elevator ride up, I flash my visitor's pass and walk down the hall to my Anita's room.

Scott came earlier this morning with Ophelia from eight until about noon, before he had meetings with important people to go to across the state. I told him earlier that I would be coming after practice, and of course we just ensured our communication pact.