The Right Fabric?

Start from the beginning

"Thanks."

"Hey, Hiccup!"

Hiccup jumped before turning around.

"Hanna! You startled me!" His sister was leaning on one of the many tables in the forge, her dragon trailing groggily out of one of the tunnels.

Hanna laughed. "What are you making?"

"I finally got enough scales to make Toothless' new tail," he explained as he scooped some iron out of the bowl. "But I can't find any fabric thin enough and strong enough for it."

"Well, you'll have to worry about that later. It's feeding time."

"Oh, gods, I completely forgot!" Hiccup exclaimed, "I'll go wake Toothless. Come on, Blade."

Hiccup dashed back into a tunnel, his forge Gronkle galloping behind him.

➰➰➰➰➰➰➰➰➰➰➰➰

"I didn't know you had a staff," Hiccup said as they soared over the water, an entire pack of dragons following them.

"Yeah, well, I don't like flying with it. Since my dragon is too small for me to stand on, it's very uncomfortable."

"I'm right here, ya' know," Stonescale grumbled. Toothless laughed.

Hanna was holding a long, wooden staff. It had multi-colored fabric wrapped around it, and a bulge at one end. The other end looked a lot like their mom's staff. It was shaped like a hook and had rattles in it. The only difference was Hanna's had a blue feather tied to it.

They reached a part of the sea that was wide open, and Hanna stopped. She twirled her staff in a professional manner, and it made a swishing sound.

The water swirled beneath them and the king's head rose majestically out of the water. He roared before tossing his head back, sending thousands of fish flying into the air.

The herd following them suddenly burst forward in a frenzy, grabbing all the fish they could get in their mouths.

"Heyyyy, do you think I could..." Toothless warbled questioningly.

"Go for it, bud!"

"Sweet!" Toothless roared as he dived. "All you fishies are mine!"

Soon, when the dragons had their fill, they flew to a deserted island nearby. It was small and rocky, but the winds on the cliffs offered the perfect updrafts for effortless flying.

"Whoohoo! This is amazing!" Hiccup roared. Toothless roared in agreement.

"Watch this!" Hanna cried. She pulled Stonescale up closer to the rocky edge, but they were still about six feet out. Hanna stood up slowly on her dragons back. Gracefully, she leapt off and Hiccup watched as the wind carried her to the edge of the cliff and set her down lightly. It looked like she was flying.

"Wow, that's cool! Can I try?"

"Sure," Hanna responded, "Just let the wind carry you."

Hiccup pulled Toothless closer to the cliff. He locked the tail piece so they wouldn't fall. Toothless was able to stay up easily, because of the updrafts.

Hiccup stood up onto his dragon's back, and looked at the cliff. It was too far away to jump to, what if he fell?

Toothless will just catch me, he thought.

Closing his eyes, and taking a deep breath, Hiccup jumped off his dragon. The air was there instantly. It cushioned him and carried him to the land. When he had landed, he was so amazed he didn't know what to say.

"Again?" Hanna asked.

Hiccup nodded.

They spent the next couple of hours playing around. Most of it jumping back and forth between their dragons.

A couple of hours before the sun set, they decided to go back.

"I wonder if mom's home," Hanna wondered.

"I don't know. Maybe we'll run into her on the way back."

They flew back to the sanctuary, their massive herd of dragons dispersing into cracks in the ice when they reached home.

"I'm going to go and prep dinner," Hanna told her brother.

"Alright, I think Toothless and I will go exploring."

"What? I want to go! Please, please, please!" Stonescale begged.

"No, you're my dragon, you have to stay with me," Hanna told the annoying Hobblegrunt.

"But I don't want to cook with you..."

The two flew towards a tunnel in the rock and disappeared.

"C'mon, bud. Let's go!"

➰➰➰➰➰➰➰➰➰➰➰➰

Soon, the sun was setting. Valka still wasn't back yet, so it was just the twins and their dragons for dinner.

Hiccup was in his room, brainstorming what type of fabric to use for Toothless' new tail.

"Have you figured it out yet?" Toothless nudged his rider.

Hiccup let his hand fall on his dragon's snout. "Not yet. Most of our fabrics are thick and strong, but for us to get the most out of this new tail, it has to be thin and strong."

"You're tired, you can figure it out in the morning," Toothless warbled.

"You're right, bud. Maybe I should sleep on it." Hiccup slipped into his bed. He blew out the candle on his nightstand, and the room was plunged into darkness. It lit up with purple light as Toothless heated his rock slab. After the room went dark again, Hiccup fell asleep.