Chapter 6: Stranded

Chapter 6: Stranded

"Have you heard? She just gained so much weight. It's a miracle she can still run,"a hushed whisper of my friend. I knew she was talking about me.

Ok so I'm not as fit as I was a month ago. I lie, there is not time for things like that anymore. With the funeral for an uncle I never knew about and both mom and grandpa working all the time life has not been easy.

Life is never an easy journey but these past few weeks have been especially difficult. For me if not for everyone else. Being a teenager is tough. It's the in between of kid and adult.

I'm not sure which one I'm meant to be just yet. I walk out of the school bathroom. My head spinning with thoughts. I could care less about food right now. The snide comments about my size though have been getting worse.

I do understand their so-called concern. Trophies is what they want, medals they have not even worked for. Everyone has an opinion for someone. Dare try and step out of that opinion box, your own grave is what you will be digging.

I was not one to deviate from opinions. I learnt that lesson well. If the school wanted you to do something you did it. A perfect record was what was needed to even try and apply for a university today.

Useless subjects passed by and I spent most of my break in the library like a loser. I have a book report to write and even after arguing for almost half a period to do it on a random piece of non-fiction, I admitted defeat.

No, I could not do it on Harry Potter or anything else that I know the movie of back to front. For the first time in a very long time, I, Lea, would actually have to read a book. I couldn't decide on anything that interested me. That was one of my most fatal flaws. If something did not interest me, I would not grace it with two seconds on my attention. When it came to books the only things that did interest me were mom's medical journals and grandpa's war novels.

Our teacher wanted to broaden our reading horizons so I got the fantasy genre. I hate fantasy with a passion. Only when reading it though. War novels I could stand, science fiction had me begging on my knees for more but fantasy.

It was sort of like lying to yourself. I got down on my knees and scanned the lower shelves until something finally caught my eye. Dr. Doolittle. I loved the movies when I was younger so the book shouldn't be too much torture to read. I flipped through the first page and was pleasantly surprised.

The slightly large type would make reading this a breeze. I walked slowly to the checking out table. Suddenly the intercom went on.

"Lea, Ms Thornberg would like to see you before break ends in her classroom," the voice projected through the faint crackle.

Five minutes left of break and to keep a teacher like Ms Thornberg waiting is not pleasant. Ms Thornberg is an old woman. One of those people whose work is their life. She knew every child and even though it was not official everyone knew she was the person with the most authority at our school.

Her office was surprisingly warm. Warm enough to make a person feel relaxed. The charming yellow walls dampened the cold glare of the fluorescent light bulbs.

"Miss Jones someone has brought to our attention that you are not eating at school," said the no-nonsense woman.

"Ma'am I fail to see why this is the school's problem," I answered not willing to bite my lips and keep quiet.

"It is the school problem when one of our students has an eating disorder. Most of your coaches have started commenting on how you don't eat at competitions," she brought the cold hard facts out in front of me.

I did not care. It was my body and my decisions. It was not like I planned to have unprotected sex or anything that drastic. This is my body and I am not harming it in any fashion.

I just zoned out for the rest of the lecture and nodded and hummed responses. Finally half way into the next period did she let me go. I missed half a maths lesson. So the rest of the period was filled with trying to take notes that at least I could read.

My maths teacher was a man who above all else prized neatness and accuracy. It was not a bad combination. A strict but fair maths teacher who really had no favourites. The only thing dismal about him was the fact that he never handed put free periods.

Meaning that in half a period I had a mountain worth of notes to copy down. That had me sitting in the library for second break finishing maths notes. The whole day I had not eaten a thing.

I did not plan to either. Mom was too caught up in her grief to notice. Daniel and Claire have their own lives to worry about. Sometimes I loved the fact that we were too busy to dip our toes too far inside each others water.

Other times I hated it. There is barely enough time to do anything let alone shower attention on each other. We really did try but most of the time attempts at love will fall short. My family was not the hugs and kisses kind. Most of the time a quick pat or a nod showed approval.

The last period of the day flashed by with a hiccup. A quick smile graced my face knowing that there was marimba practice this afternoon. The band was preparing for the Saint Benedict's Marimba Festival. An international marimba festival that showcased not only school level talent but masters of the instrument.

I want to win first place this time around. Top three won't cut it anymore. All of the best marimba bands in the country will be there. From the rich Hilton boys to Aquavista. My body was itching for this victory.

Surprisingly I was not the first one in the marimba room. I could recognize those uniforms in my sleep. Hilton Boys. Arrogant, rich and most of all a bitter rivalry is shared between me and them.