Chapter 18: Confusion

For two months, Kayla studied hard, took quizzes and test, and studied more. Dominique partied and only studied a little bit. After she would finish partying, she would come home either drunk or having sex with Aaron. Devon and Kayla would hangout a lot, but Kayla didn't think it was the perfect time for her to date. They agreed to just be friends first until maybe the time was right because she actually really liked him. He was down to earth , sort of shy, and very sweet.

It was a Friday night, the first week of November. Kayla was in her room reading a book for school and Dominique was heading to the living room to watch television. As she gotten closer to the couch, she saw a white tube sitting in front of the couch. She picked up the white tube and it read, Bleaching Cream. The subtitle read, used for lightening skin. Dominique never bought any cream for lightening cream , so it had to be Kayla's . She immediately walked to Kayla's room angrily. As she arrived in her room, she dropped the tube in front of her book as she took a glance at it strangely. She finally processed the tube in her head and looked down.

"Kay, tell me why you using that." Dominique pointed to the tube as she stood in the front of her.

"I didn't use it Domi. I was too scared to see my skin change another color." Kayla sat up in her bed and wiped the quiet tears rolling down her cheeks. "I promise. I thought about Kelsiee looking at my messed up skin if it doesn't go right."

"Aww Kay." Dominique sat on the bed with Kayla. "Girl, you are beautiful just the way you are. I told you this in the 6th grade and it's absolutely true." Dominique picked up the Bleaching Cream and took a glance at the tube. "This is going in the trash. You don't need this."

"You're right." Kayla nodded as she looked down.

Dominique comforted Kayla as she began to cry even more. On top of that she was starting to miss Kelsiee , Uncle Lenny , and of course she's been missing Nick ever since he left. Sadly Dominique had to get ready to go to a night club. As she finished embracing Kayla, she heard someone knocking on the door.

Dominique quickly answered the door to see Devon, but not Aaron.

"Hey , where's Aaron?" Dominique asked looking around hopelessly.

"Oh he's home. He said he would be here later to pick you up." Devon smiled. "May I come in?"

"Sorry. Sure." Dominique opened the door wider, so he could come in. "Kayla's in her room."

Devon breathed nervously and clutched his books close to him as he walked to her room. When he made it to her room, Kayla smiled brightly showing her two dimples. Devon plopped down on her bed and smiled back.

"Hey, don't be stranger." Kayla giggled. "You can make yourself comfortable." Devon chuckled and got a little comfortable by taking off his clean sneakers and sitting all the way on the bed with Kayla. "There ya go. Now what do you need help with ?"

"My math. I'm terrible at Calculus." Devon covered his face.

"Me too. College math is nothing like grade school math." Kayla shook her head.

"Yeah I know." Devon chuckled.

"When do you turn these sheets in?" Kayla grabbed his two calculus sheets lying on the bed.

"Next Thursday."

"Oh you should look for a tutor at the school." Kayla nodded. "I went to 315A for a tutor in Spanish last month. She really helped me."

"Oh okay I should try that room. Thanks." Devon scratched his head.

"You're welcome." Kayla smiled and set her book down. "Listen, I really wanna know about your last girlfriend. If you don't mind telling me." Kayla sat closer to him and gave him full eye contact.