Chapter 3: Kayla

It was the year that Kayla was beginning a new school. She was gonna meet new people and be in a whole new environment from her elementary school. At age 11 Kayla was entering middle school at Atlanta Middle. Asia was in the 8th grade, so she would be gone to high school by the next year.

That morning, Kayla woke up at 5:30 AM just to get started on washing up. Everybody else was still asleep. The rest of the family usually get up around 6:20. Kayla washed up with her cocoa butter soap, put on some deodorant, and put on her new clothes. She went downstairs and poured her some Lucky Charms with milk. She wasn't allowed to eat sugary cereals because it was Asia's , but Kay snuck some today. Kayla ate her bowl of cereal and watched tv quietly. Twenty minutes later, Kayla finished eating and put her bowl in the sink. She quietly went outside to wait for the bus. The bus was supposed to come at 6:15 and it was only 5:50. She could've done some more things , but she didn't want her dad to mess up her morning.

The bus had arrived at 6:25. It arrived a little late because the bus driver had to get used to the route. Kayla was the first person on the bus which was good for her because she always had to struggle for a seat. As she sat down in the first seat, another girl ran onto the bus and sat beside her.

"Little girl next time be out here at 6:15. That's the regular time." The bus driver said starting the bus.

"Yes ma'am."

The girl was brown skinned with a perfect bun in her head. She had hazel eyes and a nice straight teeth smile. The girl smiled at Kayla , but she looked down because she wasn't really confident to look in others eyes.

"Hey, you okay?" The girl touched her shoulder. "You look like you're scared to look at me. I don't bite people unless you rude to me." The girl giggled.

"I'm okay, I don't talk to people well." Kayla turned towards the window. " I don't bite people either." Kayla giggled.

"Well, you can talk to me. I'm friendly and I like to talk." The girl scratched her head. "My name is Ginger." Ginger put her hand out.

Kayla shook her hand. "I'm Kayla. Nice name."

"Thanks. Same to you." Ginger smiled. "What grade are you in?" Ginger gave her full eye contact.

"I'm starting the 6th grade." Kayla smiled. " what about you?"

"Same here. Hopefully we're in classes together." Ginger said in an excited tone.

Kayla and Ginger continued to talk to eachother as more people arrived onto the bus . Ginger must've been popular because everyone kept greeting her as they walked onto the bus. The bus route ended at 6:50. Kids had hopped off the bus and walked towards the school. Kayla stared at the new school for awhile and then followed Ginger and her friends. When they had arrived in the school, a tall Asian guy was pointing in different directions. Kayla listened to him closely while others passed him.

"6th graders to the left" He pointed to the left. "7th graders to the right." He pointed to the right. "8th graders upstairs." He pointed to the stairs behind him.

"Come on Kayla." Ginger took Kayla to the 6th grade hall.

When they got to the 6th grade hall, Kayla was so confused. She seen all the lockers, but didn't know where hers was, better yet she didn't know how to open it. It took about 10 minutes for her to find 268. She found 268 to be the bottom locker and someone was over her. Kayla had to wait for this light skin girl to move out the way, so she could get to her things.

"Oh I'm sorry. You waiting for me?" The light skinned girl asked.

"Yes." Kayla said shyly.

"Okay give me a sec."