Thirteen: The Elf and the Gangster

Start from the beginning

“Okay, honey, if you’re sure,” my dad agreed, sounding a little reluctant.

“I’m sure,” I said confidently. “Only if Paisley would hurry up,” I said, purposefully trying to get her to hear me.

“We’re heading out now,” my dad called as he and my relatives headed for the garage.

“Rena,” Kurt came into the living room with a concerned look on his face. “I am once more entrusting Shelly’s life into your hands. You have to promise me that when the red arrow goes anywhere near the red ‘E’, you’ll stop and get gas.”

“Yes, Kurt, I will.” I snatched the keys from his hand.

“Wait, you’re going in public without your suit?” Kurt asked when he realized I was indeed suitless.

“Yes, I have it covered,” I explained as I took out my sunglasses and pulled my hood over my head.

“Okay, but if you get accused of shoplifting, don’t blame me.”

“Your face,” I retorted lamely.

“That didn’t make sense.”

You don’t make sense.”

“I think the cold has gotten to your head.”

“Your face.”

“Paisley, hurry up!” Kurt shouted up the stairs. “I don’t want to deal with Rena anymore.”

“Your face,” I muttered, just to have the last words.

“Okay, okay, I’m coming.” Paisley came rushing down the stairs, making click-clack noises with her heels. “You’re wearing that?” she asked, obviously not trying to spare my feelings.

I looked down at my hoodie and sweats. “Umm, yes, hence it being on my body,” I answered sarcastically as I started to walk into the garage.

“Whatever. As long as you don’t walk to close to me, it’s fine.”

“Geez, sometimes I forget that you’re only fifteen. When I your age, I respected my elders,” I teased her as we got into Kurt’s car.

“That’s because you’re lame.”

“Paisley, can we have a peaceful day today? It’s bad enough that I have to go to the mall. Let’s not add conflict,” I pleaded her sincerely. If I had to go to the mall without my suit on, I was going to need the quiet.

“Okay,” thankfully Paisley agreed as she put her seatbelt on.

I pulled out of the driveway and drove towards the mall.

“Rena, you know that I actually love you, right?” Paisley asked, surprising me, causing me brake too early at a stop sign. “I mean, I know we have our mini arguments, but we’re family. We’re supposed to do that stuff.”

I took me a while to process what was coming out of Paisley’s mouth. For the first time, I actually felt that she was part of my family, rather than someone I was forced to be with.

“I love you too, Paisley. Don’t go all sentimental on me,” I managed to sputter awkwardly, not use to the words coming out of my own mouth.

“Fine, loser,” she teased with a small smile on her face.

“Whatever, punk.”

Eventually, we got to the mall with little to no disputes.

“So, why did you want to go the mall again?” I asked my cousin as I put on my sunglasses and pulled my hood over my head.