Thirty-Three: Rowboating Trumphs Cleaning

Chapter Thirty-Three: Rowboating is so Much Cooler Than Cleaning 

Usually I’m opposed to cleaning. I hated the smell of Windex and I hated trying to get rid of the streak that was on my mirror, but I couldn’t stop. No matter how hard I tried to convince myself everything was clean, I couldn’t stop.

I finally realized that I was trying to distract myself because every time I left alone with my thoughts, my mind always returned to Uranus’s words, “I could never like a stupid, pathetic, attention whore, who lies on a daily basis.”

It played in my mind like a breaking record again and again and again. And every time it did, my heart would drop just a little bit. I wasn’t even sure why I still had feelings for him. What he did to Sam was horrible, but he resolved it. Maybe Cupid was just being an asshole.

“Rena, what are you doing?” Kurt asked as he sleepily walked into the bathroom, where I was cleaning.

“Making milkshakes,” I said sarcastically. “What does it look like I’m doing?”

“Being crazy since it’s nine in the morning on a Saturday and you’re cleaning an already clean mirror,” Kurt answered me, looking kind of worried. “Is this about what happened yesterday?”

“No, it’s about our house being so unclean. I just couldn’t take it anymore,” I lied. Our house was clean the majority of the time since my dad went all dad-mode on us when we didn’t do our daily chores.

“Sure,” Kurt said, but didn’t sound too sure. “Can you just get out so I can pee?”

I glared at him, but I got out. Knowing Kurt, he would have probably just gone anyways.

Thirty minutes later, I was mopping the kitchen vehemently. But then Kurt came in a tugged me out of the room.

“What?” I snapped at my brother who continued to drag me somewhere.

“We’re going,” Kurt said simply. “You might want to leave the mop here though.”

“I don’t want to go,” I told him, yanking my arm out of his grip.

“You’ve been cleaning all day, Rena. The house looks great and it smells like lemons now. So, let’s go,” Kurt tried to reason with me, tugging on my arm again.

“I don’t want to,” I said, a little whiny this time. Actually, I did want to go. I needed another distraction besides attacking the air with air freshener, but I didn’t have to deal with what Kurt had in mind. He’d probably make me yell at fire hydrants until ‘the bad feelings are gone’.

After another ten minutes of Kurt trying to shove me into his car and me yelling at him that I didn’t want to go, Kurt got frustrated and left me half into the passenger seat. He went to the driver’s side and started the car.

“Either get in or have half of your body,” Kurt said rather darkly and to show he was not messinaround, he started to reverse.