1

"I still can't believe you're making me go to school, already." Lynn complained as she and her father made their way to history. Alaric Saltzman was the new teacher, and Lynn was the new student.

"Stop complaining." Ric simply said, as he scanned all the doors for his classroom. "It's not my fault I got the job."

Lynn sighed, "Well, you're the one who applied, in the first place, so that makes it kinda your fault."

"Yeah well," Ric started as he spotted the right room a few doors away. "It's definitely not my fault that you decided to move here."

Lynn sighed once again. She couldn't argue with that - it was true.

"Keep up." Ric said as he turned to his left and entered the room, while Lynn followed behind. "Good morning, everyone." He announced to the class, and Lynn took a seat beside a girl with straight brown hair, and dark chocolate coloured eyes. They shared a small smile, and Lynn turned to face her father at the front of the room, who was currently writing his name, for all to see. Alaric Saltzman.

He turned around and began speaking. "Now, before I begin, I was informed we have a new student." Lynn held her breath and braced herself for the embarrassment of the man announcing that they were related. He gestured toward the green eyed teen. "This is Adelynn." She sighed, happy that she wouldn't spend her first day known as 'that new teachers daughter'.

"Alaric Saltzman." He stated pointing at his name he had earlier wrote. "It's a mouthful, I know. It doesn't exactly roll off the tongue. Saltzman is of German origins." Lynn let out a small, quiet, sigh and zoned out while her father rambled about where his name originated from, and all sorts. While the man spoke, Lynn went back over the information she was told in the car, about the vampires and how to kill them, etc.

"Adelynn?"

The girl's head snapped up and she met the eyes she had seen a million times. Ric stared at her with raised eyebrows, and everyone else in the room joined in. "Hm?"

"Pay attention." He stated. And then, after a short pause, he added, "Please."

She nodded once, and everyone turned around once again as she stared at a spot on the wall.

"Don't you have something else to be doing?" Ric asked as he pulled out a file from a drawer of the desk he now claimed as his own. Lynn had a free period, and she didn't exactly have any friends yet, so she decided to stay with Ric, and lucky for her, he wasn't teaching either.

Lynn sat on a desk at the front row, so she could be as close as she could be, to her father. "Well, I don't exactly have anyone to be with." She explained.

"What about Elena?"

"And who's that?" Lynn narrowed her eyes at the older man. She had heard the name a few times, but she didn't bother noticing who it belonged to. The man at the desk sighed, looking at the sheets, when he let out a laugh. What?"

"This guy had a 'jackass' file." Lynn let her curiosity get the better of her and she stood up and leaned over Ric's shoulder to get a better look at the paper sprawled across the desk.

Lynn opened her mouth to speak, but she was cut off by another male voice, coming from the doorway. "Hey, Mr. Saltzman. I'm, uh- I'm Jeremy Gilbert." Lynn straightened and took a seat in the front row. Judging by the look on the boys face, Lynn guessed he found it weird how close the girl was to Ric. "You wanted to see me?" The new teacher waved the boy over, and Jeremy leaned on a table beside Lynn.

"Did you know your old teacher had a 'jackass file'?" Ric asked the teenage boy, as he picked up the file. When Jeremy furrowed his brows, Ric continued. "No joke. It's uh- typed on a label. It has all the troublemakers in it, but really it's just an opus to you." Ric closed the file and binned it. "Don't worry about it. I'm not him. Clean slate. Now.." Ric leaned on his own desk, as Jeremy laughed at the man's actions. "Let's talk about grades."
Jeremy didn't miss a beat giving his statement.