Chapter 25

The work was exhausting and by the end of the day both Bill and Dipper were tired. Dusk had fallen as the two climbed the stairs back to the attic.

Once inside the room, Bill sat down on the floor, sighing softly. "I don't understand why you humans have to work so hard to get money." The demon groaned unhappily, lying down. "Why do we want to follow the rules anyway? Us demons break the rules all the time. They were meant to be broken."

Dipper gave a halfhearted shrug, flopping onto his bed unceremoniously to rest. His hand dangled near the blond as he gazed down at him. "Trust me; we break the rules plenty of times. It just doesn't always turn out," he responded, wincing. "And ah, everything hurts . . . Be glad you didn't have to lift heavy boxes all day. It's more of a killer than fighting gnomes."

"Fighting gnomes." Bill shook his head, remembering the twins' encounter soon after they arrived in Gravity Falls. "Their weaknesses aren't leaf-blowers, but that sure was creative," he commented then thought of something. "Hey, I think I might know a pain-relieving spell. Even if I wouldn't usually use it, it's still probably in here." He tapped his temple with a finger.

Dipper sat up for multiple reasons, a curious smile splitting his face. That might be useful to know.

"True. Give me a minute to see if I can recall it," Bill said and closed his visible eye, concentrating.

The boy sat quietly, the anticipation of learning a new spell driving away his other thoughts. It might not be the adventure that Bill promised him, but he would be more than happy to wait. Besides, they were both tired.

Without warning, the young man sat bolt upright, eye widening in alarm. "Uh-oh! Someone's summoning me. I'll be unconscious for a while. I'll see you when I get back," he said quickly right before he passed out, falling like he had done before.

"Bill!" Dipper cried out, shocked to see the sudden inaction. He dared to sit on the floor, never taking his eyes off of the other. Bill seemed to be dead, though when he reached out to touch him he was still warm and living. Who could be summoning him? Bill. Bill? There was no response. Dipper made a face, dread settling in the pit of his stomach. This can't be good.

A chubby boy in orange attire stood expectantly in front of the drawing on the cell wall, malicious smirk widening for a moment when he was sure his message went through. He snapped the stick of chalk he was holding in half, letting the remains fall onto the torn cat poster on the floor. He could wait no longer. And he wouldn't have to.

Bill appeared as the world changed to the familiar monochrome color scheme, draining the area of whatever brightness existed. Only the male and himself remained vivid.

The dream demon leered at the boy in orange, recognizing him immediately. "What do you want now?" Bill asked, annoyed. "It's not like I was busy or anything." The triangle rolled his eye, hands placed on his 'hips'.

Gideon Gleeful made an effort to keep his smile, voice piercingly sweet though he was tensed with anger. "Good Mr. Cipher, I have . . . a proposition for you. As you know, our last affair was cut rather short, but this time I have you something neither of us can afford to pass by."

"Cut to the chase. I'm on a time limit here." Bill looked down at his wrist boredly, as if checking a watch. "I do have the right to decline if I want to. You were quite rude to me last time, considering the fact I could have still found a way to retrieve that memory."

The male grimaced, heat pooling uncomfortably at his cheeks. "Ya' see, my dear father happened to stop by earlier today and told me that that accursed boy Dipper Pines was runnin' around town with a rich man no one's seen before. I got information as quickly as I could muster. William Codex. Blond. One visible eye. Dressed with clothes from the mall and sportin' a tattoo of the same wheel that's used to summon you," the prisoner explained. "It doesn't take a genius to figure out his true identity. You and I know what we want. I want out of this darn prison so I can get my revenge on the Pines family. And now that you have power on the outside — money, looks, a connection with my Mabel's troublesome brother — I'm sure we can work something out." Gideon grinned evilly, holding out his hand. "How about it?"