Chapter 6- Game Day (Edited)

After swapping insurance information and phone numbers, Linda came to pick us up and drive us to school. No one was issued tickets, and our insurance companies were going to figure out how to go about the situation.

I was currently in the back of Linda's car, with Riley in the front. Initially, Linda was worried sick, as any mom would be. After thumping Riley across the back of the head, the assessed the damage, and now she thinks the whole thing is hilarious. I told her about the whole baseball team thing and she is very supportive.

We pulled up to the front of the school and I heard Riley scoff to himself.

"What was that for?" I asked him, curious why he had that type of reaction. Maybe he was disappointed that people might see him get out of the same car as the new girl... who still had zero friends. 

"I am - we are seventeen years old, and we're having my mom drop us off at school." He said, shaking his head with a light smile on his face. Linda and I laughed in agreement.

"Alright you two trouble makers, get in there. Julie, good luck. I will hopefully pick up both of you after baseball practice." Linda spoke while we were getting out of the car. I smiled while throwing my backpack over my shoulder and closing the car door. 

Linda drove away and Riley and I started walking into school. Since we were about an hour late, everyone else had already found out if they were on the team or not. Meaning, Riley and I were the last ones to find out. I knew Riley wasn't nervous because he has been a starter since his freshman year. Me, on the other hand, have something to prove.

As we were walking in the door, Riley must have been able to realize how tense and stressed out I was. He looked at me before speaking.

"Hey, I know you're worried. But you have no reason to be. You showed more effort and skill than most of the other seniors have in their entire careers. You got this Jules." He spoke with sincerity. I turned to look at him and smiled when I made eye contact with him. I also noted how he now had a nickname for me; Jules. His blue-green eyes stared back into mine, and for some reason... I was instantly calm. He flashed me a smile and I then realized that we were stopped in the middle of the hallway.

We continued walking and before we knew it, we were at the bulletin board with the list posted on there. I closed my eyes and took deep breath.

Freezing for a moment, I turned to Riley. "You go first."I said. He gave me a side glance before taking a look at the board. My eyes never left him, too scared to look at the board myself.

He looked at the board shrugged. "I made it." He spoke. I rolled my eyes, surprise surprise.

"I can't look. You need to look for me." I said, covering my face with my hands. I head him sigh before looking back at the board. I peeped through the cracks of my fingers to see his reaction.

His face dropped before turning to face me. No way. I didn't make it? My face dropped to match his. All of a sudden he started laughing. I looked back up at him, in disbelief that he was laughing at my failure.

"Oh, real mature. I'm so glad that you find my failure funny." I spoke, getting defensive. He continued to laugh and I crossed my arms over my chest.

"Juels, I was just kidding. You made the team. Well, you more than made the team. You're the starting catcher for the varsity team." He spoked. I looked at the board, needing to see this for myself. Sure enough, there it was. My name listed next to 'Starting Varsity Catcher'. I cheered before realizing that this asshole played me.

I started playfully punching his shoulder. He laughed as I continued my assault on his poor shoulder. 

My hard work payed off, damnit. I did it.

Julie Stevens... Varsity Catcher.

---------------------------------------------------

The next couple of weeks went by in a blur. Crazy amounts of homework and intense practices were enough to make someone go mad. But, it was nothing I couldn't handle. 

The coaching staff was really great and patient with me working on my technique. Baseball and softball have the same concept, but are two completely different sports. All these weeks of practice have helped be in a batting scenario. How to read pitches behind the plate, position myself for best access. I felt like what I was doing was for a purpose, and let me tell you that is a great feeling.

Today was the day. Our first game. The first time of me ever playing baseball in a real life game scenario. 

Nervous? Yes. 

Terrified? Absolutely.

Discouraged? Hell no.

Currently, we were on the field getting ready for out game. I was in the bullpen with Riley. Oh ya, did I forget to mention that he was the starting pitcher?

After warming our arms up, Riley and I walked back to field. On our way back to the field, a voice called out after us.

"Hey Riley!" Called a male voice from the opposing team. I looked at Riley who looks pissed off and annoyed. I looked up at him in confusion. He gave me a look that said I'll explain later.

The mystery man walked over to us, taking a good look at me, before giving off a cocky laugh. 

"Damn Adams. I knew you guys sucked and all... but resorting to a girl on your team? I almost feel sorry for you guys." He said with a cocky laugh. Oh the things I would like to do to him. 

Oh... that sounded sexual. I meant more in the punching, physical way. You guys know what I meant.

"Actually, we figured that since we demolish you guys every year, we didn't need to bring out the big guns. We would take it easy on you." Riley spoke. Ok, hold up. Did he really just say that I was was being used to 'take it easy'? Oh hell no.

"Actually, I can speak for myself. I was brought in because the team sucked and needed something... or someone to get their spirits up. Yes, I am a girl. Props to you for figuring out basic human anatomy. The school actually doesn't have a softball team, so here I am. None of us are exactly thrilled about it, but thats how things are. Now, I suggest you watch what the hell you say around me. I know guys like you. I know your weaknesses. Just one of the many great things about being a girl. I'd be careful." I spoked getting up in his face. He looked at me, the cocky grin being replaced with a glare.

I got up close in his ear. "Good luck, big boy. You're going to need it"

With that, I walked away from both of them. One thought I couldn't do this because I have a vagina. The other thought that I wasn't as strong of a teammate as the others.

Well listen here assholes. I'll show both of you. 

You have no idea what you just started.

------------------------------------

THIS CHAPTER HAS BEEN EDITED AND NEW EVENTS MAY HAVE OCCURRED.