Chapter 8

Alright, I have a feeling that no one will read this, but I got a sudden urge to work on this story again and this is what came out, I hope who ever reads this, enjoys it.

**************************************

Shawn's P.O.V.

I woke with a start from the sound of the doorbell ringing. Despite my dizziness I got off of the couch and opened the door for Ashley's mom and Ainsley.

"Daddy!" My little girl cheered as she jumped into my arms.

"She was such a good girl for us. You've both done a wonderful job with her." Sheila tells me and then glances around. "So, where's Ashley?"

A wave of dread washed over me, but I couldn't understand why. I peered out to the driveway to see Ash's Jeep parked in the driveway. I rose an eyebrow over the fact she had yet to make an appearance. I knew that she had been dying to see Ainsley again.

"Hey, Ashley? Ain is back!" I called towards the back of the house, but only silence answered me.

"Well, I hate to do this, but I need to be heading back home before that thunderstorm hits. I hate driving in bad weather." Sheila tells me with a small frown on her face.

We say a quick goodbye and as soon as her grandmother was gone, Ainsley hurried into the house.

"Mommy?" I hear her call out softly. "Mommy, where are you?"

I hesitatingly made my way down the hallway and a moment later Ainsley's head pops out of her bedroom, "Daddy, where did mommy go?"

I had no clue where she had gone and then I noticed that Mae was missing too. "I think she took Mae-Mae for a walk. She should be back soon."

She nodded then before letting out long yawn and rubbed her eyes.

"Do you want to take a nap, darling?" I asked as I picked her up.

She nodded and I carried her to her room to change her into some pajamas. It didn't take long for her to drift off and as soon as I was sure that she was sleeping deeply I hurried to call Ashley's cell. Her tinkling ringtone went off in the living room and I found it resting on the coffee table. My eyebrows scrunched together at the sight, it was unlike her to leave it behind. I sighed heavily, raking my hands through my hair as this strange sinking feeling only grew worse.

I was so confused, over the past few weeks I feel as if I've been losing my mind. Reality seemed to blur and in my moments of clarity all I saw was that I was breaking Ashley's heart. Maybe she left her phone behind because she knew I would be coming back today and she didn't want to see me. Tears welled in my eyes at the thought, what if I was going to lose her forever because of this? I couldn't think of a worse fate than to be without the two loves of my life. My silent tears turned to soft sobs, why was this notion hurting me so badly? I sank to my knees, clutching her cellphone as my body began to shake.

A shadow that was shaped like silhouette rose across the carpet and my only thought was, 'Thank God, my angel has returned.' Before I toppled over and passed out.

Vanessa's P.O.V.

I couldn't resist chuckling at the sight of Shawn's blue eyes rolling back as the medicine took over his body once more. I opened the front door with ease since he hadn't had a chance to lock up. Panic will make a person forgetful like that.

I gazed down at the crumpled heap Shawn had fallen into and I smiled softly at the sight, he always had the most childlike face when he slept. I gingerly rolled him onto his back and then brushed his raven hair from his forehead. It was clear that from his expression that he had fallen into a troubled sleep. I picked up the phone that had dropped from his grasp and I quickly saw that this had belonged to Ashley. Even though the rubber gloves made it difficult, I managed to send Shawn a little message from his wife from beyond the grave.

I put her phone on her dresser to make it appear that she had returned. Now it was time for me to destroy the love that he feels for her and the glee that I was given from the knowledge that she lay inside the earth powerless to stop me was plentiful.

I passed by their daughter's room, peering in at her. She slept peacefully, oblivious to the chaos that was silently irrupting around her. I knew children to be observant though, so I knew that I was going to have to keep a close eye on her.

I returned to the living room to lean over my once lover, whispering, "Oh Shawn, how easier things would have been if she had just let you die from the start. I hate that I have to claim more lives than necessary, but we can't change that now, can we? I'll see you again soon, my love."

I brushed my fingers over his parted lips before I rose to my feet and locked up the house before slipping out into the downpour. Part of me wanted to remain, just to see what else would occur in Ashley's absence. To watch the way Shawn's sanity would surely unravel as I pulled at the threads of his mind, even when I wasn't around to toy with him. I had feeling that this was going to be the most fun I've had in a while. I intended to drag this game of cat and mouse out for as long as I could, but like all good things I knew that it would have to come to an end. But I planned to make it as slow as possible, like in the way something decays.

I smirked at the thought, maybe I would be kind and bury them all beside one another. At least in death they would be together again. That was the only fairness I ever intend to allow any of them.